We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel?

USA
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel?

I'm looking for a resort type hotel which is oceanfront for a family of 4. I would like a 4-5 star, but would like to pay < $500/day. Am I dreaming? I was looking into the Aulani because it is such a nice resort, but the location is bad for accessibility to the restaurants and shopping and Waikiki in general. There appear to be a lot of negative posts about it also on Trip advisor. The cost is quite high.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,488 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel?

Aloha,

Check out the Hilton Hawaiian Village

http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/

The Royal Hawaiian , Sheraton Waikiki and the Moana Surfrider are also on the beach.

Get a car to explore Oahu's wonders and dont forget the Aulani for a visit.

Aloha

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel?

You mentioned earlier that your "kids" are 20's! Right? HHV is a very kid centric choice...Like Aulani. Look at other options.

USA
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel?

Thanks Jet and mamma! You are right, Mamma, my kids are in their 20's. I think i stayed in the HHV 30 years ago.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,912 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel?

Royal Hawaiian, Westin Moana or Hyatt Regency.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel?

Halekulani and Royal Hawaiian should be the first two you look at, then the Moana Surfrider and maybe the Kahala Resort.

USA
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel?

We are thinking of Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. They are under contruction right now, but they assure us (????) they will be done by June 30. They said they are ahead of schedule at this point. What do you all think?

USA
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel?

Again, our criteria we want is oceanfront, nice white sandy beaches, resort amenities like spa, etc, nice pools, close to good restaurants and shopping.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel?

Outrigger Waikiki is oceanfront. They have a pool and is in the middle of everything in Waikiki. Plus Duke's is in the hotel, and it's a great place to eat.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel?

>>>Again, our criteria we want is oceanfront, nice white sandy beaches, resort amenities like SPA, etc, NICE POOLS, close to good restaurants and shopping.<<<

Halekulani and Royal Hawaiian should be the first two you look at, then the Moana Surfrider.

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
286 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel?

When is your trip? I was in Waikiki last month and the work being performed on the outside of the Outrigger is more intrusive than what they are telling people. They are cutting out parts of the balconies and replacing them, and repairing the edges of the concrete while they are at it. It makes for quite a bit of noise and from the looks of it made the resort much less enjoyable. Also they were tearing out the pool deck and replacing it.

Bottom line is that if your trip is near that time frame it could be a problem if they run into a delay.