We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

lethbridge alberta
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Topic
People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

Staying at a condo in Waikiki and just wondering if we can go to other resorts and hotels to browse and look at landscaping and possibly grab a cocktail or two?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

Absolutely....

All Waikiki hotels welcome non-guests in their public areas, shops, restaurants and spas.

And they love anyone who spends money.

Just stay out of the pools and fitness rooms.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

Of course!! They would love for you to spend some money and it is a lot of fun to check out the lobbies and landscaping. I love the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian and the Banyan Tree at the Moana.

Dallas
Level Contributor
24,793 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

Absolutely !!!

And be sure you do go look at them. Some of them are just beautiful with most having nice flower arrangements and art decorations as well as various shops and restaurants.

Be sure to go to the Royal Hawaiian and out the back and enjoy their garden. You can sit on the back lanai and just enjoy being there and then go to the beach and have a mai-tai at their bar on the beach. Go look at their pool area and their shops inside.

Also, don't miss the Westin Moana. Sit out front on the rocking chairs and watch Waikiki go by. Go sit at the Ocean Bar under the huge and beautiful banyan tree and enjoy another mai-tai, and watch all the activitiy on Waikiki Beach. It is truly one of our favorite places on earth.

Outrigger Waikiki has Duke's which is a great beach bar. Lots happening here including a great "party" on Sunday afternoon that you don't want to miss.

Halekulani is beautiful with a beautiful orchid tile bottom pool. Beautiful hotel and has some top rated restaurants.

Hyatt Regencey is very nice and has some nice shopping.

Outrigger Reef has nice areas and we always make sure we do a couple of Happy Hours at Shorebirds. They have the best mai-tai happy hour from like noon until 5 each day and they are $3.50 and the are so good.

Hilton Hawaiian Village is nice area to go look around with some nice beach areas, nice bars and lots and lots of shopping and restaurants.

So this should give you a start. I would say those are the "don't miss" places and then you end up at your favorite again and again. Our absolute favorite place for sunset is at the Westin Moana in the Ocean Bar. Water is spectacular and it is really in the center of all the action as far as we are concerned.

Hope this gives you some ideas to start with. You will hear from others as to their favorites as well but these are ours.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

lethbridge alberta
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

Wow thank you everyone for the great responses. We have rented a condo for the time we are there so we will be saving lots of money on food with that. So that just frees up more money for happy hour. Can't wait thanks again.

lethbridge alberta
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

Shoot. One other thing I was going to ask. Better to walk the street and enter these places? Or walk the beach and enter?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

<Shoot. One other thing I was going to ask. Better to walk the street and enter these places? Or walk the beach and enter?>

Either or both. Just one caveat-Halekulani will not allow non staying guests go to the swimming pool area.

Dallas
Level Contributor
24,793 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

Get a map of Waikiki Beach. You can see that the Westin Moana, the Outrigger Waikiki and The Royal Hawaiian sit side by side on the beach and are easily walkable by the beach.

The Halekulani and the Outrigger Reef and the Hilton Hawaiian Village are down on the West end of the Waikiki area and you might want to walk down Kalakua (shopping all the way!!) to Beachwalk. Lots of shopping and restaurants on Beachwalk as well. The Halekulani is at the end of Beachwalk as is the Outrigger Reef. Once there, there is a sidewalk that runs along the beach all the way to the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Where is the condo you are staying in? You will find almost all of the Waikiki area is pretty easily walkable (depending on how many mai-tai stops you make !!)

I hate to disagree with alumnus but I have been in the Halekuni swimming pool area many times to look at the pool. I think as long as you don't become obvious or cause a problem, they will say nothing. If they ask you to leave, lay down on the ground and kick and scream like a 3 year old and make a scene, then just get up and leave !! I've never had any problem looking around there even though I do think there is a sign posted something to that effect. Just ignore it and make them throw you out if they want to.

Have a great trip

Aloha

Edited: 22 April 2012, 19:58
Canada
Level Contributor
9,440 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

A map

www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html#

Happy hour suggestions

www.happyhourhawaii.com/allrestaurants.php

Edited: 22 April 2012, 20:02
Dallas
Level Contributor
24,793 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

stooley9 - another thing that is kind of fun is to go to Waikiki Beach on earthcam.com and zoom on the different hotels we have discussed. You can see where there is plenty of beach area, and where it gets a little too tight like around the Halekulani.

Although you can still walk all the way down the beach from one end to the other if you want to.

One other suggestion that comes to my mind is maybe go to the Top of Waikiki for a happy hour. It is a rotating restaurant and bar on top of a tall building that gives a view of the whole area. I don't know whether or not I recommend eating there because I never have but you can look at the reviews on here to see what you think. I do think it's pretty well recommended for a cocktail though.

lethbridge alberta
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: People able to browse through resorts and hotels?

I have rented a 1 bedroom/bath suite at the Waikiki banyan. So it's a little ways down from the bigger resorts. But we can eiether take the bus or walk down there. We have a 8 year old and a 4 year old so that will be the only thing slowing us up.