We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Our May 29 - June 7 trip (Mom + two sons ages 17 and 19) is currently booked thru Expedia for 9 nights at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, but I'm now considering going to the North Shore instead for the last 4 nights. I've checked with Expedia about making that change and staying at Turtle Bay Resort. The cost difference, including car rental for those days on the North Shore, would be an additional $800. Yikes! Any suggestions about alternate places to stay on the NS, including VRBO and/or B&B possibilities, will be appreciated!! My fingers are crossed someone has THE perfect solution. :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Did you check AAA rates (if you have membership) for Turtle Bay? When I had originally planned a split stay the AAA rate was about $20 a night more than my Waikiki booking (Outrigger reef). We ended up cancelling Waikiki because we loved the North Shore so much so if you can make it up for a few days, it would be worth it. I also ended up booking on a travelzoo deal which was lower than my Waikiki rate. On their website they also had their own specials - the longer you stay, the more nights free, breakfast thrown in, PCC tickets, etc.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,412 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

A recent post brought these cottages to my attention:

http://www.keikibeach.com/gallery.htm

I have no first hand knowledge of them, they just look cute and well located on the North Shore.

I think you've made a nice decision to split the trip between the 2 locations on Oahu. Wherever you stay, I hope you love it!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Thanks, singermom and ddffpp!! scottca suggested Pat's in Punaluu and I am considering an apartment/condo there I found thru flipkey.com. He, too, mentioned Keiki Beach, but they are booked. :-( I would like to find something near Haleiwa, but nothing so far.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,362 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Can you do a B&B? (I can't, hate the places, I never feel comfortable in someone else's home, but DW loves them, <sigh>). If so, check Santa's By The Sea.

Tropical Waters gets good reviews too. Lots on VRBO, HomeAway and FlipKey, I just have no first hand knowledge of good places.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,489 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Aloha,

I would keep it simple and cost wise stay in Waikiki

The boys will love Waikiki, as you will be in the heart of Waikiki.

Rent a car , do the wonderful North Shore and East Coast during the day and bring them back to Waikiki to cruise around at night.

Yeah, teens love Waikiki,

Aloha

Vancouver
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

I agree with Jet 100%, your boys will love Waikiki - 9 days will fly by. Moving is a hassle and takes up too much precious time!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Thanks to all for your replies! I think I'm going to move forward with 3 nights on the North Shore. And my boys are agreeable! ;-) I'm looking into a couple of condo options at Haleiwa Surf Condominiums that I've found on VRBO. Any thoughts about that particular location?

Edited: 01 May 2012, 05:08
Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Thanks to all for your replies! I think I'm going to move forward with 3 nights on the North Shore. And my boys are agreeable! ;-) I'm looking into a couple of condo options at Haleiwa Surf Condominiums that I've found on VRBO. Any thoughts about that particular location?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,489 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Aloha,

I found this little bit of info

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60647-i2326-k9971…

Looks like it is close to Haleiwa Town and , as always, a family meeting is the best.

Sounds like fun, let us know what you thought of Oahu and all its wonders.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 05:31
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,489 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honolulu for 5 nights, North Shore 4 nights

Aloha,

The link is dated, hope that helps.

Have a great time,

Aloha