We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A month to clean up?!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
968 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A month to clean up?!

Okay, I did not get this from a Hawaii press. I got it from my home town ppr--L.A Times. So take it anyway you want, but I just thought I'd share an excerpt from the 4/01/06 edition:

"HONOLULU — About 48 million gallons of raw sewage has gushed into the ocean off Oahu since a major sewer line ruptured last week, and it could take a month before bacteria levels at Waikiki beaches return to normal, city officials said Friday."

AS I said in other posts, I postponed until late May. What added to my decision is that my little girl is getting sick, though. I probably would have still postponed even if she was not ill. Penalties were not THAT bad ($100/ticket + $25 for the room).

Newbridge, Ireland
Level Contributor
223 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A month to clean up?!

Does it saw what shore ? North South East West ?

Newbridge, Ireland
Level Contributor
223 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A month to clean up?!

Sorry, just read it again - Waikiki !!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A month to clean up?!

I just read the Saturday information from the Star Bulletin. It says that the areas of Kaneohe and Waimanalo are affected by a sewage plant spill. I cannot find anything about Waikiki beaches being affected by the other sewage spill. It says it affected the Ali Wai Canal.

We leave for Oahu next Saturday morning. I just feel sick over this. Can we even go in the ocean? We are staying at the Waikiki Outrigger. I'm wondering if we should think about cancelling? This is our grandson's trip from the Make A Wish Foundation.

Rochester
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A month to clean up?!

what about hanauma bay? is the water there ok?

Newbridge, Ireland
Level Contributor
223 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A month to clean up?!

Pattie, I've looked into it further. That canal feeds into Waikiki, a stone's throw from the hotel where we are going to stay - the Hilton (HHV) on Waikiki Beach.

It says that there is no swimming allowed in the waters of Waikiki Beach now and that the waters may clear in one month.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A month to clean up?!

The Ala Wai Canal was built in 1922 to drain the greater Waikiki area. Prior to that, the area behind the near-beachfront resorts/estates was a swamp; favored by folks who raised pigs and Chinese farmers. The canal allowed the evolution of Waikiki, a very deep sand spit over an ancient (limestone) reef, into the urban resort of today.

Nowadays the canal serves as the drainage basin/spill-way for natural runoff (rainfall into Makiki, Manoa and Palolo Valleys and the paved areas of the flats) and all the excess man-made emissions. Plus, the canal serves as the right-of-way for many major utility system mains in the ares.

So, when there is excessive run-off from storms (as has happend of late), coupled with the increasingly critical problem of Oahu's rapidly aging infrastructure (there have been numerous such breaks in recent years and major renovation projects are underway)....You get the current situation.

Plus, you should know, the "normal" level of bacteria at Waikiki is at the higher end of all Hawaii beaches; in the same league as those that within working commercial harbors (Kalapaki and Hilo)...although still better than most anywhere on the mainland.

The spill is a local event, not uncommon to major cities like Honolulu. The "much superior to Waikiki" beaches on the Windward, North and Waianae shores are unaffected and will still offer a pristine beach exprience apart from any rain-induced regional flooding.

Don't EVEN ask about seismic events and liquifaction in Waikiki, or you would never stay there...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
968 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A month to clean up?!

Pattie,

I feel terrible for you. I know that just thinking about cancelling (or postponing) is a painful decision. I made mine, And I feel better about, now. I made my call to postpone and I am sticking to it!

But if you decide to go as planned, remember that you are in an island and can always goo to the other side of the isle. As k locals where they beach at. Waters in the N. shore are rough though. Here is what one person (local, I think)posted yesterday on another thread:

The sewage leak has been stopped but Waikiki beach remains "closed" as of today, may open next week. Rain still heavy today but forecast to lessen by next week.

Don't despair; there is a lot more to Oahu than just Waikiki!

Get out, look around..... and Enjoy!!!

Hope it helps

j8a

Missouri
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A month to clean up?!

jk8a--I don't blame you for postponing your trip. I would too, if I were you. A trip to Hawaii is not cheap and even though there are other beaches, most people go to Oahu for Waikiki beach. At least to swim in once! I would not want to take a chance with the water--especially if I had children.

We just got back and it was fun, but I would not want to go in the next couple of weeks. I would give it time to get back to normal.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
968 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A month to clean up?!

Thanx Maui,

How did you like your trip?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A month to clean up?!

Our trip is planned for the first week of June. Surely Waikiki will be ok by then. I am just sick for the people who are having to deal with it now. I would probably just go anyway and plan to do things on the beaches that are open. I live near Mobile Bay and we have this sort of thing happen after storms but it usually only last for a day or two. Good Luck and have a great time.