We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any must do's in Oahu

Anaheim
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any must do's in Oahu

My husband & I will be leaving for Oahu & Kauai next week, spending 5 days on each island & I want to make sure I am not missing any of the must do or must see thing's that Oahu has to offer (I will also be posting in Kauai for the same question). So far we are going to see Pearl Harbor, hike Diamond Head, snorkel at Hanauma Bay, see the fireworks on Firday night, and visit the market place & of course do some beach relaxing! Our hotel is the Aqua Palms in Waikiki. Is there anything we're missing out on or anyone have any suggestions? Thanks it's our first trip to both islands so any advice is greatly appreciated. Oh and we're not renting a car but we're considering renting mopeds for one day just for fun!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

Cheri, I'm going to reffer you to this link for things to do. This will get you started. Good Luck. Chuck...

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g29222-Activitie…

Also try www.gohawaii.com

Edited: 30 May 2012, 20:10
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

I think for 5 days and no car, you have the biggest things covered. I would suggest a car for a day vice mopeds and take a drive up to the North Shore and experience what it has to offer

Mopeds are ok for getting around Waikiki but for safety reasons I never recommend having them for going anywhere else. We've had more than a few people hurt over the years trying to get around on them. If you do rent them, please be careful.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,362 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

Maybe Chinatown and Iolani Palace, time at Ala Moana Mall.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

Please reconsider renting a car for a day instead of mopeds. It is just not safe in Honolulu traffic with a moped. Personally I don't even think it is safe driving a moped around Waikiki since you are dealing with other tourists who might not be familiar with where they are going plus gawking at shops/scenery/people while driving.

Definitely rent a car for a day to visit North Shore, Lanikai Beach, Kailua Beach, etc. (Look at the "Oahu driving tour" link on the right to get some ideas.) Try discounthawaiicarrental, priceline or hotwire for car rentals.

Waikiki is not Oahu. Some visitors say they hated Oahu because it is like LA on a beach (or similar comments) but that is because they never ventured far from Waikiki, so do consider taking a circle island tour if you absolutely do not want to rent a car.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 20:41
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

surfing lessons, outrigger canoe ride and a sunset sail. Also make a reservation for Dukes asap.

alohabeachservices.com

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,048 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

I too would at least rent a car for a day and go to the north shore. The snorkeling up there is so much better than Hanauma Bay, and free too!!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

Yes, head to the airport and take the flight to Kauai.....

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

I have is disagree with subbing snorkeling on the north shore vs Hanauma Bay. I think it depends on the traveler.

If Cheri and her husband are experienced snorkelers and have their own equipment, I think the north shore can be good. If they are new to snorkeling and need to rent equipment I would recommend Hanauma Bay.

At Hanauma you get the whole experience, beautiful setting, easy equipment rental, and access to volunteers who can help you understand what you are going to see. On the north shore you are are on your own.

Also, at Hanauma you are pretty much guaranteed to see some wonderful things, all you have to do is stick you head in the water and look around. On the north shore you have to be a better swimmer/snorkeler and be more comfortable in deeper water.

In our experience that snorkeling on the north shore is more hit or miss. When we go sometimes the conditions are good and you see things, other times not so much. No so at Hanauma.

Also, when you done at Hanauma (get there early!), you can drive up the east side of the island on your way to the north shore. That drive is on of the most beautiful on Oahu, in my opinion.

Yes, Hanauma costs, but when you compare that to the total cost of a trip to Hawaii is really isn't that much.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,411 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

I think you will have a much different feeling about Oahu if you get a car for at least 1 day (I think 2 is better). The island is extremely beautiful, lots of beaches and good hiking opportunities.

Must dos for me: Eat at a shrimp truck. Circle island driving tour with many stops - especially the north shore. At least 1 botanical garden. At least 1 jungle hike. Honolulu walking tour that includes Chinatown. Helena's restaurant.

And the most important advice for both islands: stop and smell the plumeria! Have a wonderful time. Kauai and Oahu are my two favorite islands.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any must do's in Oahu

Cheri....we stated at the Aqua Palms across from HHV last fall. Got a great deal and loved the lanai for a reasonable price. For breakfast, eat at Wailana's Diner. We ate there many times during our week long stay. Their food is good, service friendly and prices fair. If you are there Friday night, easy to go down to beach and watch the fireworks. Have fun!