We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

I was looking for a "hidden" waterfall for the family to visit while on Oahu next week. These two have popped up. Kahili looks like it might be through a sketchy neighborhood.

Can any of the experts provide info on these places? Is it safe for a respectful tourist? Safe to leave the car at the Kahili falls spot? I've heard some stories about locals-on-tourist crimes in certain spots and I want to be safe, but these look really cool (3 of the 5 of us could pass for natives, however, though we are not).

Thanks

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

To clarify - I got the letter mixed up in the second one. I mean Kalihi street waterfall - AKA Ice ponds. On Oahu. Not the Kahili falls on Kauai. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,094 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

I had never heard of this waterfall before:

…wordpress.com/2011/…

…blogspot.com/2011/10/naohia-falls-ice-pond.…

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,869 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

Aloha,

It has been years since I have been to the Ice Pond.

It is an easy short hike, I would not know if it is a safe place for your rental.

If you do it dont leave anything in the car.

Maunawili would be my choice

Aloha

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

Google Likeke Falls, too. Nice hike, especially from the Ko`olau Golf Club's parking lot. We saw 4 people there and that was during the busy Christmas week. After your hike, the nearby Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden is a perfect spot for a picnic and easy stroll. It's also free.

Have a great time.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

I googled this Likeke one and it said you had to climb through some really rough concrete underpass areas, down some rickety steps. Is this true, or is there another way?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

There is definitely another way. Google "Likeke falls hike from Koolau Golf course" What I did was map out directions to the Koolau Golf Course (you can also do this with your GPS), then follow the directions on the attached link:

world-of-waterfalls.com/likeke-falls-easier-…

www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php…

The path is very clear and it's not far to the falls. You can also keep going further (again, we had no trouble because there is one very clear path) and it is quite nice.

Hope this helps!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,094 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

From the Ko'olau Golf Course/First Presbyterian Church Parking lot it is about 10 minutes to the waterfall.

http://www.koolaugolfclub.com/location.cfm

Park at the farthest part of the parking lot away from the church/clubhouse.

There is an old water tower there. I think it is visible from the parking area. If not it is only 20 yards or so in the trees.

Walk around the water tower & find the trail.

Hike on the trail about five minutes.

There will be a big white tree and a trail going off to the right. The trail also widens at the tree.

Take the trail to the right & Likeke Falls will be in about five minutes.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

Thank you so much! We will either do this or the Maunawili hike. Mahalo!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

The Maunawili Falls hike is longer but, in my opinion, the falls are nicer...and you can swim and jump off the rocks if you like. Go in the morning on a weekday and you will avoid the crowds.

10. Re: Maunawili and/or Kahili Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 15:17