We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is within walking distance

Florida
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What is within walking distance

We are staying at the Wyndham at the Royal Gardens waikiki Resort from Sunday, Oct. 28th thru Saturday, Nov. 3rd. This is our first time to the Hawaiian Islands. We will not have a rental car on Oahu, what is within walking distance for 2 older adults. We need reasonable priced seafood restaurants and directions for walking to Waikiki Beach. Also need recommendations for best airport shuttle companies. We want to do couple of tours especially one to the North Shore with stops for photo ops.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Zuzanne

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is within walking distance

Zuzanne

For your tour to the North shore for photo ops I highly recommend Oahu Photography Tours. They offer all day, half day, sunrise, sunset, grroup (no more than 6 at a time) and private tours. I live here and I've gone on two with him just to get to some places that a tour bus won't take you. I did a review on his company which you can find through my profile. You don't have to be a pro...he can help you work any camera you have for the most amazing vacations shots ever.

I really can't address the other part of your question because I avoid Wakiki anytime I can.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is within walking distance

Hello zuzanne: The top questions, on the right, has a link for maps. You should get one delivered to you at home because you have plenty of time to become familiar with the island before your trip.

Waikiki is full of restaurants of all types. I like local favorites like poke, fish (mahi mahi, opah, etc.). There are many Pacific Rim style preparations and they are very tasty. A must in many peoples' minds is Duke's. I also like Hula Grill, which is upstairs from Duke's.

I can't make a recommendation on a tour of the North Shore, but always suggest American visitors rent a car, even for just one day. The island is very easy to drive around and there are many places you might want to stop along the way.

Happy planning!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is within walking distance

To walk to Waikiki Beach, just step outside your hotel, walk in the direction opposite the canal, cross the beautiful park, and you're at one of the best sections of Waikiki Beach. (Enter your hotel name at maps.google.com, select "aerial view" and you'll see exactly where to go.)

Restaurant-wise, you're within seven or eight blocks of perhaps 50 to 100 eateries. The only moderately priced seafood places I know you can walk to are Chart House and Red Lobster (I know, I know). Google maps says they're about a 16 minute walk from your hotel.

I'm sure you'll find others as well!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is within walking distance

I'm a senior citizen with hip replacements and arthritis but I find Waikiki to be very walkable. from your hotel, you should be able to walk to the food court at the Ala Moana shopping mall, all of the restaurants at the McCully Shopping Center,and the food Court at the Intl. Mkplce. I especially liked Fatty's at the IM. I never miss duke's and/or the Hula Grill, either.

For transportation to and from the airport, we used Hawaii 23.

I wish I could remember the tour we took last time that went to the North shore. It was 1/2 day starting at 12:30. We went to Byodo in Temple, thru Laie(stopped for beach photos), North shore for pictures, dole plantation, and got back about 6:30. this tour was on a small bus. Maybe these hints can help you find it. It might have been Discovery tours but can't be sure.

You are going to have a wonderful time. buy a good map.

5. Re: What is within walking distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 04:42