We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

After much deliberations, I confirmed our 8 night stay at the Grand Waikikian for my family (myself, husband and kids aged 14 & 15). After having spoken with friends who visited Waikiki recently, I'm wondering if we should be splitting our stay with 4 nights in Waikiki and 4 nights at the Marriott Ka'Olina on the North Shore.

While I'd like the kids to see Waikiki, 8 nights of the hustle and bustle might be too much for us.

We plan on visiting Pearl Harbour, the Polynesian Cultural Centre, Hanauma Bay as well as some North Shore Beaches. We are renting an SUV for the entire week.

Should I consider Waikiki my "home base" base for the week?

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,641 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

Marriott Ko Olina is not on the north shore.

I suggest staying at one place In Waikik, and rent a car to drive around to see the north shore.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

I would stay put probably. It isn't worthwhile to change for that short of a time, certainly not to another condo complex.

If you did 6 nights at HHV and your last two nights at the JW Marriott, Aulani or Kahala Resort, I'd get it.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

As placebets has stated Ko Olina isn't on the North Shore - it is on the same side of the island as Waikiki but past the airport / Waikele etc in the other direction.

Ko Olina is gorgeous but there isn't a lot there - you need a car to be able to go places on your own schedule. We recently stopped 4 nights in Ko Olina then 4 in Waikiki but next time won't bother. For trips with our kids (but a lot younger then yours) we will solely stop at Aulani whereas for our grown up trip sans kids we will stay solely in Waikiki.

I would stay in Waikiki and just hire a car to explore the island. There are so many gorgeous places to visit, stop and swim etc that we are never without a car.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

I love split trips on Oahu, but that doesn't sound like a good fit for you this trip.

I like split stays because I've been to Oahu quite a few times already and don't arrive with a long to-do list. My husband and I now go mostly to lounge around at resorts and enjoy all they have to offer.

With eight nights, four people's suitcases, and a lot of sights you want to see , I don't think it's worth the time of packing up, checking out, driving to another hotel, checking in, and unpacking/getting settled there.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

Hmmm, 8 nights is right on the edge of the days you need to have a good split. I'd probably do it because I'm not a big Waikiki fan, but I wouldn't fault you for staying put. If you were to split, look at the Turtle Bay Resort. It is really the only hotel on the north shore.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

I would split it and get a rental house on the north shore. Hanging out on the North Shore beaches of Oahu were one of my kids' most favorite thing to do in Hawaii when they were growing up here, especially as teenagers. (They also enjoyed Waikiki although my son, living on Oahu and at UH Manoa, now says no one cool goes there. /eyeroll).

We would often get a place on the beach between Sunset and Pipeline and we'd ride bikes to Waimea Bay. Good fun, endless sand. Great contrast to Waikiki, a nice relaxing way to end a Hawaii vacation afrer several days of busy activities in and around the city, and you won't have to fight the traffic and parking issues that day trips would necessitate. Turtle Bay would be another option. But I wouldn't stay in Ko'olina which as others mention, isn't on the north shore.

Edited: 24 June 2012, 22:52
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

Thanks to all who responded. I didn't realize where the Marriott property was - I should have had a better look at a map of the island! I think we'll just stay put in Waikiki and drive to our destinations. We're off to Maui the following week-- I think it will be quite different from busy Waikiki.

Thanks!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,527 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

cma - I'd stay put ... rent a car ... and explore the island.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

SInce you are already packing more than once (heading to Maui), stay in one place on Oahu.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 04:26
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked 8 nights in Waikiki-- should I split our stay?

Don’t split, there is no hustle and bustle in Waikiki, just tourists and homeless ppl. Your kids will like the street entertainment in the evening.