We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Food to Oahu

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Food to Oahu

My wife and I are coming to Oahu next month, and in order to save some money, can anyone tell me if you are allowed to bring any food into the island or will it be confiscated at customs. Is there anything that we are not allowed to bring? We have a 23 hour flight, so obviously we wouldn't be bringing frozen foods or meats.

Regards

John.

honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Food to Oahu

All fresh fruits and vegetables are prohibited imports. Cooked, canned, and prepared foods are fine.

Are you looking at bringing your own groceries? You know, we have grocery stores here :)

We also have reasonably priced grocery stores, and even in Waikiki it's possible to find supplies at a reasonable price, and to stock up, there are stores close to Waikiki.

Where are you staying?

2. Re: Bringing Food to Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2006, 10:45
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Food to Oahu

Thanks guys for the info.

Cford, I am staying at the Kalia Tower in HHV.

I have been to Waikiki before, but it can be expensive if you are eating out every night for 2 weeks.

Regards

John.

Rochester,NY
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Food to Oahu

Hi John- FYI there is a Foodland in the Ala Moana mall about a 5 minute drive from where you are staying. You can get a visitor's Maika'i card there which allows you to take advantage of in-store discounts. Really no need to bring a lot of stuff from home. Grocery store prices are somewhat higher in Hawaii than on our mainland but it's still cheaper than eating out in restaurants, as you pointed out. They also have a pretty large food court in the Ala Moana mall as well, if you want to grab an inexpensive meal there. Have a great trip!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing Food to Oahu

Well, there are regular grocery stores if you want to pick up food ... shop the specials at the markets ... hit the farmers market ... there are lots of options for finding cheaper food.

You are right, eating out gets expensive. But I doubt you will save any significant amount of money by bringing your own food with you -- at least not that much more than you would by buying food on Oahu and eating in.

I am not sure what people think the food costs -- cereal is not $10 a box!! This week at Safeway, rotisserie chicken (pre-cooked) is $4.99 ... Nabisco crackers are 2 for $4; cold cuts are $7.49/lb (not cheap, but about what you'll pay on the mainland for good cold cuts); a loaf of bred is $2.50. Kellogg's cereal is 2 boxes for $7.

So -- if you're set on bringing food, well, have fun hauling it through the airport. But I expect if you buy it in Hawaii you'll spend at most $20 more than you would have elsewhere.

The one good thing about bringing a suitcase full of food is that you'll have an empty bag to fill up with souvenirs for the way home.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing Food to Oahu

Exactly... my hubby and I brought a carry-on suitcase full of snacks, and we had plenty of room to take home souvenirs.

We didn't plan on going to a grocery store in Waikiki, so we brought (among other stuff) PB crackers, a yard-sale pitcher and drink mixes (we threw away the pitcher later), beef jerky, candy, a cutting board, and a knife (in the checked bag) to cut up fresh fruit that we bought there. It was good to have all that food to munch on in the airport and in the room. We actually enjoy saving money so this wasn't a sacrifice for us to do.

7. Re: Bringing Food to Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2006, 10:29
honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing Food to Oahu

John,

Right up the street from HHV is a Food Pantry. It has fresh La Brea bread, a small sushi takeout, fruits & veggies, and the same or better prices than the Foodland in Ala Moana (Food Pantry's owned by Foodland) albeit without the same large selection. It's about 1.5 blocks from you.

You're also across the street from Singha Thai - v. good Thai and all the tourist booklets have a "buy one, get one entree free" coupon.

Next to Singha is Todai Seafood, which has a massive seafood buffet that is a sufficient meal for an entire day.

Across the street from those is Wailana Coffee Shop, which is not a foodie destination, for sure, but has homestyle meals 24hrs and has a great mai tai for $2.75 at happy hour.

In Discovery Bay Center, there's Aloha Sushi, fast food sushi for takeout or eat in, and Shanghai Bisto, a beautiful restaurant with a great happy hour that repeats late night. Also there is Capriccioso, Italian place that also runs a "buy one, get one" coupon.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing Food to Oahu

Thanks again guys. You've given me food for thought (if you excuse the pun).

Regards

John.