We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

Toronto
4 posts
Save Topic
Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

Ok...I know the question is controversial, but when it's my safety at sake, I've gotta ask.

I know the basics of being a good traveller, and how to use common sense...but these are not a replacement from the inside scoop as to the more...how to put it...unsavoury areas.

On my last trip I visited many beautiful beaches as part of a tour, and would like to return to them for a pleasant picnic and hours of watching the ocean.

Where would you *not* park if you wanted to return to a car with intact windows? (I haul all my stuff with me, and don't swim. After seeing just how many sharks are just a few feet underwater on a shark tour, I'm not going in the ocean without a cage. Chicken, yes...but this 'shaakbait haole' will be quite happy on the beach, thank you!)

Where would you not walk?

Examples: would you walk from the Hilton to Diamond Head?

Park at that one laneway to Police Beach?

Wander the Ka'ena Point trail?

Go to any location shown on the "Lost Virtual Tour" website?

Again, I realize the sensitivity of this request...but have, many times, given advice on my hometown on where not to go, where not to park, and where never, ever, to go. Politically Correct and innocent intentions unfortunately mean little when you're in some bad places you wouldn't go if you knew better.

1. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 July 2012, 02:18
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,002 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

I wouldn't walk from the Hilton to Diamond Head because it is way too far.

The only reason you saw sharks on a shark tour is because they were chumming the water with fish guts and blood. If your cologne is not Parfum Eau' de Fish Heads you are fine in the water.

You are in more danger driving to the airport and in more danger in your own home than you are from sharks in the ocean around Oahu.

If I was alone I would not do Police Beach or Ka'ena Point trail.

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

I would watch out for the smoke monster lurking on the fringes of Police Beach.

Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

Already got jumped by the smoke monster at Camp Erdman...

;)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

Yes but he has an evil twin at the beach camp!

Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

And no, Scott, they weren't chumming the water. Only thing that came off the boat were tourists and a few drops of oil.

Walk is no problem, unless it's in an unsafe area. I'm used to tabbing a long way in the heat. 4 miles isn't that bad.

I'm trying to compare it when you have 'local' knowledge. For example, I have no problem walking the Las Vegas Strip from Stratosphere to Mandalay Bay. About 4 miles. But that area south of the Strat and north of Circus Circus...well...I wouldn't want to do so at night.

Hence my post.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

Evil Twin?

D'oh!

I guess I could try staring it down if I don't find a strand of trees to jump into...

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

The walk from the Hilton to Diamond Head is totally safe.

You can also park safely at the Ka'ena Point trail as long as nothing is in your car. The trail itself has enough traffic on it so that you will have nothing to worry about.

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,896 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

Aloha,

Yeah, Waikiki and Oahu is a safe place to explore.

Leave nothing in your car and you will be just fine

Have a great trip,

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,002 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oahu - 'unsafe' locations?

>>>Walk is no problem, unless it's in an unsafe area. I'm used to tabbing a long way in the heat. 4 miles isn't that bad. <<<

4 miles, uphill and humid. Vegas ain't the tropics.

Mentioned in this post