We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS for a rental car-need advice.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
GPS for a rental car-need advice.

Hi All,

We will be staying in Waikiki for a week at the end of this month. I'm wondering if I need a GPS with the rental car. We want to see the whole island and are avid hikers. Is a GPS worth getting? I will have my guide book maps but I'm not sure if the GPS will help find the natural beauty spots. Thanks!!!

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS for a rental car-need advice.

We made good use of our gps, especially around Honolulu. There are lots of one-way streets and the signs can be difficult to read, especially while night driving.

If you can make use of a gps back home, perhaps buy one before coming...I wouldn't rent one from the rental company. For the money, you'll probably be able to buy one and use it on other holidays.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS for a rental car-need advice.

I don't know if would be worth it to rent one or buy one

I find my way around just fine

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS for a rental car-need advice.

I live here and I love the peace of mind I get from having one. With one way streets and all the possible issues with road closures I love being able to push the "home" button and find my way back, especially at night, with little or no issue.

Maryland, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS for a rental car-need advice.

We used the map on our iphone and it worked just fine but if I didn't have that, either a paper map or GPS is a must. The roads around Honolulu can be very confusing and often they don't give you much warning on their signs as far as when exits are coming up.

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS for a rental car-need advice.

We rented one at the car rental agency and were very very glad we did. Not only did it get us to where we wanted to go, but it also told us about the places we were driving through/by. Sort of a little history lesson. Kept us very entertained. We would have missed alot had we not had the GPS.

marysville ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
569 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS for a rental car-need advice.

do you know what rental company you used with this type of GPS?

thanks

7. Re: GPS for a rental car-need advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:19