We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two islands in seven days?

mochi0172
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Two islands in seven days?

I want to take my parents to Hawaii this September and initially had planned for a week in Maui. However, my dad wants to visit a second island. We thought about a few days in Oahu. Do you think this is a good idea since we only have seven days total to split between two islands? I have done more research on Maui so don't really know much about Oahu, but my parents love going to the beach so gorgeous beaches will be the main criteria.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two islands in seven days?

It is certainly do-able but not the best situation. You just waste so much of your time at airports, checking in and out of the hotel, etc. for such a short trip.

Personally I would not do it but it's still a nice trip.

Either just hang around Waikiki, or rent a car for a day and drive all around the island of Oahu and see the sites. You can see a lot of it in one long day but won't leave much time to stop and do anything for very long.

Are you flying in and out of Honolulu. If so, I would go to Maui first, then back to Oahu at the end. That way you are not pressing to catch an interisland flight and an international flight on the same day.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two islands in seven days?

You know Molokai could be your second Island if you are flying R/T to Maui. Rumor has it that Molokai is Hawaii at it's most Hawaiian.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 21:23
rhode island
Level Contributor
805 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two islands in seven days?

If you have an option, try getting your flights into Oahu and out of Maui. Then you could spend a few days on Oahu and then head over to Maui. I find this makes it much easier. Could you stretch the trip to 10 days perhaps?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,880 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two islands in seven days?

>>> Do you think this is a good idea since we only have seven days total to split between two islands?<<<

No.

Absolutely not.

If you absolutely HAVE to, do two nights Oahu and five night Kauai.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two islands in seven days?

No, it's not a good idea. You will lose at least a half day island hopping. And you only have 7 days ... that's 6 nights? 5 nights? Barely enough to do one island justice. It's tough, I know - but choose one island.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two islands in seven days?

No! Just say "No" to dear ol' Dad. - My wife and daughters do it all the time!

Seriously, you will fritter away way too much precious time in paradise trying to island hop without being on a Michener timetable.

Now, if you can do two weeks...................................

Edited: 01 August 2012, 06:54
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
210 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two islands in seven days?

For 2 islands you really need 10 days or you will end up feeling rushed your whole vacation.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two islands in seven days?

Molokai is one of my favorite islands and you can get a ferry over. Beaches ... not exactly what it's known for, but it's beautiful, unspoiled and a good feel for old Hawaii.

Other than that I wouldn't waste precious time island hopping on a 7 day trip.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two islands in seven days?

Oahu has gorgeous beaches. In the event Dad specifically wants to see the Pearl Harbor memorial sights, Diamondhead, and other icons of Hawaii, perhaps consider Oahu. There is certainly more than you have time to cover in a week.

You said you are looking at Maui. I just made the above comment in the event there is a specific thought driving the second island to be Oahu.

You will burn 6-8 hours of a perfectly good day in Hawaii packing, flying, and unpacking. You don't have time to cover two islands. Any of them easily consume a week.

10. Re: Two islands in seven days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 10:16