We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does "The Bus" offer a route to tour Punch Bowl Cemetary?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
298 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Does "The Bus" offer a route to tour Punch Bowl Cemetary?

My husband and I will be in Oahu in April and would like to see Punch Bowl Cemetary. We will not have a rental vehicle. Does "The Bus" have a route that goes to Punch Bowl Cemetary? Can we just walk through the cemetary or is it too huge? We're in our late 40's.....and in good overall health.

I've read about the Island Cirlce Tours, but wanted to see the other options.

Please advise.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does "The Bus" offer a route to tour Punch Bowl Cemetary?

I took the bus to Punchbowl last winter. I didn't keep the directions but it was both doable and walkable and I'm a senior citizen with hip replacements. I called the bus 800 # for directions. Basically, I caught the bus to a transfer point then the connecting bus that leaves you off at the bottom of Punchbowl. you have to walk up and down. I went on a sunday morning so perhaps that's why the transfer bus didn't run often. If I remember correctly, it only ran once an hour so it is imperative that you mind the time or you will have a long wait for the bus back. There were various waits but I didn't mind at all. I was in Hawaii, had a book, water, and a desire to help a friend.

Going to Punchbowl was the highlight of my trip. I was looking for the name of a cousin of a childhood friend who was lost at sea in 1941. I found it and was able to take a picture of his memorial for her family.

Hope this helps.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,164 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does "The Bus" offer a route to tour Punch Bowl Cemetary?

http://thebus.org/

Use the google transit on the upper left of the page.

Start Address: 2500 Kuhio Ave (I use this as it is right behind International Market Place in the center of Waikiki. You can use your hotel name or address.)

Destination Address: National Cemetery of the Pacific

Put in date & time.

Click on: Get Directions

Note: there will be several options.

The first one is highlighted in a very light blue.

You can click on any of the options to get directions for that option.

The bus will drop you off outside of the crater. It is a .6 mile walk to the visitors center.

The inside of the crater is about 1/2 mile in diameter.

Expect about 1 mile walking inside the crater to the monument & then to the lookout and back to the visitors center. The walkway to the lookout, is fairly close to the monument.

Then the .6 mile walk back to the bus stop.

For info about the national cemetery, Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. There is one for National Cemetery of the Pacific.

I recommend renting a car on Oahu as you can see the island much better with a car. Even if you rent a car just a couple of days, National Cemetery is one of the stops I would make with a car.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
298 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does "The Bus" offer a route to tour Punch Bowl Cemetary?

Thank you both so very much for the very useful information!!

4. Re: Does "The Bus" offer a route to tour Punch Bowl Cemetary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 06:17