We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Harbor

New York
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pearl Harbor

We will be staying in Waikiki near the zoo and want to tour Pearl Harbor Sunday, Sept,. 23. We will be flying out that afternoon to the Big Island so our time is somewhat constrained. (Our ride picks us up from our hotel at 3:30pm) I've done a lot of research and have gotten very conflicting information regarding exactly how long TheBus ride is to Pearl Harbor and how long we will need at the Memorial. We plan on making reservations online but can't figure out how early those reservations should be for and what time we should get the bus. We know we need to get to Pearl Harbor an hour in advance in order to pick up our tickets. Can anyone help? Thanks and sorry for the long winded question!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,076 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Harbor

Well, I just made the bus ride from the Waikiki Marriott area which is very near the zoo. We caught the 7:00 #42 bus one block down Ouha street on Kuhio. It took almost exactly one hour and that was weekday. We did not have reservations but that might be a good idea.

We saw all we wanted to see (we had been there before it was renovated) and actually made our return on the transfer tickets which allow about 3 hours. We returned and were back to our hotel by 12:00. We got tickets for 9:00 tour and that whole thing is less than an hour with the movie, boat ride out, time on the memorial and boat ride back. Had plenty of time to view the museum as well.

You will not probably have time to tour the USS Bowfin or USS Missouri within your time limits.

The cost for the bus is $2.50 one way but since we returned on the transfer tickets, it cost us nothing to return.

You might have to check out of your hotel and leave your luggage with them while you go to PH. Depending on what time your hotel requires check out.

You can not carry any bags of any kind to PH so you will have to leave all camera bags, fanny packs, diaper bags, etc. at the hotel.

You can only take whatever you can cram in your pockets.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Harbor

I add to placebets:

Make reservations for the Arizona. You'll have a time to center your other plans and calculations.

Yes, pack ahead and leave your bags with the bellman at your hotel. They'll most likely want you out by noon.

You can take a purse or bag or such to Pearl Harbor, but you will need to check it - $3.00. I did. No big deal. I also wore cargo pants - great for shoving cameras, wallets, etc.

The Arizona will take about an hour - the movie, the ferry, time on the Memorial and the ferry back. Please understand that you could spend the entire day at Pearl Harbor. You will only see one aspect of it. The intake center is great and the grounds as lovely, wonderful museums, etc.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Harbor

Buses run on a more limited schedule on Sundays, but just looking at the schedule, the only difference is the 1st one from Waikiki doesn't start until 6:30am. Therefore, you will be in luck. I wouldn't get a ticket for any earlier than an 8:30am tour. Too bad you don't have a car as Pearl Harbor is very close to the airport. You will have to travel back to Waikiki and then back to the airport. Very time consuming. All in all though, very much worth it to see the USS Arizona Memorial.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,380 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Harbor

You can take #20 bus. Leaves Waikiki shortly after 6am on Sundays. Apahulu/Kuhio at 6:04am, Saratoga/Kalakaua at 6:15am. Arrives USS Arizona Memorial at 7:15am

For route map or timetable (to change to Sunday, click on the Sunday button at the bottom of the page):

http://thebus.org/Route/Routes.asp#20

You can also take one a little earlier & get to the visitors center before 7am. But you would need to transfer buses.

http://thebus.org/

Use the google transit on the left side of the page.

Start Address: 2500 Kuhio Ave (I use this as a sample as it is right behind International Market Place. You can use your hotel name or address).

Destination Address: 1 Arizona Place

Date: 8/26 (any Sunday)

Time: 5:30am

Click on: Get Directions

It will give you several options.

The first one is highlighted in a light blue.

You can click on the other options.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Harbor

Aloha,

We have tickets for October but I understood that I coud take a purse and a camera. If I check my purse can I take my camera around my neck or does it have to be in a pocket? Appreciate any advice.

Mahalo

Alberta Travelbug

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pearl Harbor

Yes, you can take your camera, just no cases. I just put my money, drivers license and keys in my pockets and locked my purse in the trunk of my car. The parking lots are patrolled by security.

New York
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearl Harbor

Thank you all for your responses. Really helps with the planning! I guess the earlier we go the better. Hoping Sunday traffic will be lighter than during the week?! We are staying at the Waikiki Marriott and I have already spoken to them about the checkout time issue. They assured me that it would not be a problem to accommodate us. Thanks again!

New York
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pearl Harbor

Thank you all for your responses. Really helps with the planning! I guess the earlier we go the better. Hoping Sunday traffic will be lighter than during the week?! We are staying at the Waikiki Marriott and I have already spoken to them about the checkout time issue. They assured me that it would not be a problem to accommodate us. Thanks again!

9. Re: Pearl Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 06:16