We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good location to base ourselves

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
643 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Good location to base ourselves

I am looking at organising our next holiday Aug/Sep 2013 and besides visting the Big Island would be looking to stay for 7-10 days in Ohau. Traditionally we book holiday homes rather than hotels as we like to cook local produce, visit farmers markets etc.

While in Ohau we will want to do some of the normal tourist things e.g. Pearl Harbour, visit Waikiki, as well as some snorkelling if weather allows, and of course some shopping!

Usually I book our holiday homes via VRBO but am not sure what locations I should be looking at. We will probably look to rent a car so that we can get around easily. Any ideas of areas that we should be looking at or looking to avoid would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good location to base ourselves

Hi Cd: You will have to decide which part of Oahu you would like to stay on...the West side offers the most goregeous sunsets and long, beautiful beaches to walk on. The area is more arid and seems to be much hotter. You may need a pool and airconditioning to be comfortable and the beaches, though great for beachcombing, may not be the best for swimming. The South Shore including Waikiki offers, more shopping, dining and is a very social, vibrant, busy, busy area. People that go here, IMO are looking for nightlife, great restaurants and meeting people from all over the world. The East side of the island is very tropical, lush and green. You will see the most fantastic sunrises. With the mountains so close to the shoreline the climate is prone to more rain showers and tropical offshore winds...no real need for airconditioning.(IMO). If it rains for any length of time, just hop in the car and drive 20mins to find the sunshine. The North Shore offers a great small town, rural feel. Not uncommon to see teenagers with a wild pig splayed out on the front of a 4 wheel drive truck...well tanned surfers with their boards tucked under their arms. You'll see sunsets and may need airconditioning. Just let TA know more of what you are looking for and you will find lot's of help...that's what I did. Mahalo

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
643 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good location to base ourselves

Brilliant thanks for that. You have already provided a lot of info for me as I had no idea what each part of Ohau offered.

Social, busy is not really our thing. So based on the above I would think that West, East or North would be more suitable for us. We would be looking for something that is in an area that is safe, easy for driving around, within reasonable driving distance of key tourist attractions.

We are in the 40-50 age bracket, my husband loves the water, especially snorkelling, I enjoy relaxing and reading when on holiday so happy to do that anywhere. We also like walking and discovering places we are staying. Tend to like peace and quiet rather than a lot of noise and have a preference to privacy rather than living on top of others.

Cost wise if feasible we would be looking for something around the $1200 a week or less price point. Only require 1brm, and would like somewhere that has internet, parking, and prob airconditioning.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good location to base ourselves

Take a look at Kailua, Lanikai or Waimanalo on vrbo.

4. Re: Good location to base ourselves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 01:17