We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the best area of the island to stay????

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
49 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the best area of the island to stay????

OK! Airline tix are booked! We may stay in Honolulu area the 1st night bc we arrive on New Yrs Eve. But the rest of our stay, we would like to stay as far away as poss from the hustle & bustle. Ive looked at rentals in Haleiwa & Makaha. My daughter wants to learn to surf, and that is very high priority on our trip. We enjoy more laid back atmosphere rather than busy & crowds. We plan on doing alot of cooking, so restaurant variety is not high priority either. We have NEVER been to Oahu- so ANY advice or ideas would be so appreciated! My husband & I were married in Kauai & vacationed again in Maui. Not been to Oahu, but im hoping we like the laid back North Shore as much as we did the other 2 islands. We will be there New Years week. My 15 yr old stepdaughter has been wanting to learn to surf & we are hoping to get her up and riding the waves! Please help! Need to know where to stay! Thanks so much!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,990 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

You are coming when the north and west shore surf will be at it's highest. We're talking anywhere from 5 feet to 40 feet. Not a place to teach someone how to surf. It's also a bit wetter and cooler up there during this time. Makaha isn't a place I generally take visitors or where most visitors stay. Waikiki will be the best place to take beginner surf lessons.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
49 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

Ok thnks for the info! Would you recommend Waikiki even if we dislike crowds very much? We aren't opposed to driving to and from north shore a few time during our stay if needed for her to take surf lessons. I just don't want to be stuck in a major touristy area with Lots of noise and tons of ppl. I am lost in my search for a rental! Why do you not recommend Wakaha? Should we cross this off our list? The rental I found is beautiful- but I know NOTHING abt this area...thnx again:)

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

People who have never stayed in Waikiki often have a distorted view of the place. It really is a nice place to be.

But....you can base yourself at Kailua beach. Surf will be gentle. It's quiet and calm. Use your rental car to dip your toes in Waikiki and travel to the North Shore.

Look too at Kaneohe. We have based ourselves there many times with very enjoyable results.

Good luck~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check vrbo.com

Edited: 30 September 2012, 22:54
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

Makaha is outside the main tourist area and some visitors feels the local residents can be less than friendly to visitors. We personally have not experienced that but others feel that they have. The west side also has more poverty than other parts of the island and there are sometimes homeless people camped on the beaches.

That aspect I'd the west side does not bother us, and we are making a repeat visit to the Pilau Military Rec center in Wainea in January. Wainae is just a few miles south of Makaha. We also are not fond of the crowds and bisiness of Honolulu. The West side does have some of the best beaches on the island and they will not be crowded.

The negative, aside from the social issues above, is that it can take a long time to get to the east side and the north shore. If a member or your party has a military ID you can take a shortcut through KoleKole pass during daylight hours but otherwise it's a long way around. If you are doing much sightseeing on the east and north shore you will spend a long time in the car.

I think the suggest of the east side, Kailua or Kaneohe for winter is probably a good one. The beaches ther are also beautiful and you will have easy access to the north and Honolulu.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,334 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

North Shore is the wrong place, look at Kailua and Kaneohe instead.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

Too bad that you have pre-judged Waikiki. So sad.

There are some hotels on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki that are pretty quiet. Something to consider. Also check out The Kahala.

Ko'Olina - some major resorts, but otherwise not much there. Kailua sounds good.

And good luck pinning something down at the (late) date. Hopefully, the Christmas vacationers will be on their way home ... and will open something nice for you.

california
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

Kailua is a great place to be that offers one of the best beaches ever called Lanikai. And it's only 20-30 minutes outside of Waikiki. Unfortunately there are no hotels here so you'll have to stay up in Kaneohe. Also there are a couple great hotels down by diamond head side away from Waikiki. I believe a couple of them are the New Otani and the W hotels.

california
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

Kailua is a great place to be that offers one of the best beaches ever called Lanikai. And it's only 20-30 minutes outside of Waikiki. Unfortunately there are no hotels here so you'll have to stay up in Kaneohe. Also there are a couple great hotels down by diamond head side away from Waikiki. I believe a couple of them are the New Otani and the W hotels.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 05:54
Seattle
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

See vrbo.com for lodging in Kailua and everywhere on O'ahu.

Good luck~~~~~~~~~~~

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,334 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats the best area of the island to stay????

PS if your 15 year old step daughter wants to learn to surf, Waikiki is the best place in the world to learn to surf. Just driving in two or three times wouldn't help, to really learn would take several days and several hours each day. Waikiki is also where she wants to be as to not be bored out of her mind..... just sayin'.