We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental during Christmas holidays

Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
car rental during Christmas holidays

Hi everyone, our family is visiting Oahu for our 10th anniversary during December 20-30. It's going to be slow, taking easy type of vacation!

We just want to rent a car for few days when we go up to visit PCC, North shore areas. We have 2 younger kids so we didn't want to take the Bus. Since we are there during the most busy time of Hawaii, will it be smart to book it in advance? But we haven't decided which days to rent the car yet but we are thinking around Dec 26-28 after Christmas. We are staying at Outrigger reef on the beach. Thanks for your help in advance!!

On the side note, will we be able to snorkel at Hanauma bay and Sharks Cove during this season? Is there other shallow calm water snorkeling places on Oahu that are kid friendly?

Edited: 02 November 2012, 20:09
Colorado
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

Get your reservation ASAP for a car!

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

I know the Budget at the Hyatt location ran out of cars this past Christmas. So, if you walk up during the time you need the car, you are most likely going to either be out of luck, or you will pay A LOT...It's best to make a reservation, the ones through Discount Hawaii Car Rental and Costco can both be cancelled with a day's notice.

Hanauma Bay is year round. Shark's Cove (and North Shore) won't be suitable for swimming in the Winter (the surfing competition goes on during that time).

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

Definitely reserve the car now. There's no reason not to.

Hanuama Bay is a good choice for a family with kids in the winter.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

Please rent it now as all three of your replies have said. We did not reserve early on one of our Christmas visits and there was not a rental car to be had on the island. We learned the hard way.

Edited: 02 November 2012, 21:21
Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

Absolutely book now and then keep looking to see if prices drop!!

We will be in Oahu from 12/21 to 12/28 and I've been looking at prices since June. For that entire time, it was going to be around $1k to rent a car from the airport and it still seems like it's the same price and that's for the smallest and cheapest car.

Instead, we will be getting a car from 12/23-12/28 and I found rental car places outside of the airport are cheaper. Not sure how we will be getting to the hotel yet, probably a taxi and then on Sunday we will walk a few blocks to pick up our car. We are paying a little over $200 for the car.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

!! ... !!!! Oh, yes! Reserve your car now. The prices will be high - but they will only get higher. You may find that renting a car for the week is cheaper than a daily rate ... or that a four or five-day rental costs the same as six. So play around with it. Pronto.

And if you do rent for just a few days, keep the car overnight. Less paperwork. Oahu can and does run out of rental cars.

Tell us where you are staying, and we can guide you to some handy rental locations.

Don't put this off.

Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

Thank you everyone for your sincere answers!!

BLBL, we are staying at Outrigger Reef on the Beach, is there any close rental car place?

Thank you!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

There may be a rental agency at the Reef itself. I think I tried to find it on their website last week and failed - so you may want to give them a call.

A short walk down Kalakaua at the Hyatt (2nd floor) are both Budget and Hertz. Or give Enterprise a call and see if they will deliver to you. I bet they would.

There are probably 10 places to rent a car within 10 minutes of the Reef. Look up the car rental agency websites - or give them a call.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,948 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

If you rent from Enterprise, they will pick you up at your hotel.

If you do not want to pay the $30 parking fee at Outrigger Reef, see this thread. You can park a couple blocks away for less.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k576881…

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental during Christmas holidays

There's a Hertz at Outrigger Reef on the Beach. But it may not have the best rates. Definitely check Enterprise and some others, too.