We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

Michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

We are planning our first trip to Hawaii for March. We decided on Oahu since my husband did not want to go to Hawaii and not see Pearl Harbor. We will be staying 12 nights/11 days. I realize this is enough time to go to two islands but after much reading we have decided to go to Oahu only. We want to stay the first five nights in Waikiki.

Our problem is deciding where we want to stay the other 7 nights. I've found places at Sunset Beach, Punaluu and Kailua. We are early 60's, enjoy walking/hiking, kayaking, horseback riding, seeing museums and other historical sights. We like to sit and walk on the beach, but don't need the beach to be swimmable.

As I said, even with lots of reading I can't pick where to stay. Any pros and cons for each area would be appreciated. Or, suggestions for other towns or beaches to stay at? Especially would like to know if one area is more windy than another. Looking at a nightly rate in the $150 per night range. We tend to rent through vrbo.

Also, we did consider staying in Waikiki the whole time, if we could get a place with free parking. We are finding though that by now there aren't many places that have that many days together still available. So, made the decision for us that we will spend the trip in two different parts of the island!

Not first time on TA, but first time planning a trip to Hawaii! Thanks in advance for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
150 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Sunset Beach Park
Sunset Beach Park
773 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,202 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

I don't know if this will suit you, but I've saved it because someone else here on TA had great things to say and it looks very cute. On the North shore:

http://www.keikibeach.com

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Malibu
Level Contributor
12,170 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

missinggs, judging by your avatar you may like sunsets. If so Sunset Beach got its name for a reason. Around Kahuku Point and down to Punaluu and Kailua you'll have sunrises, not sunsets. And onshore winds rather than offshore.

Much more to do in Kailua if that matters.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 22:00
Mentioned in this post
Sunset Beach Park
Sunset Beach Park
773 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kahuku
Kahuku
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

Thanks for the replies. I had already looked at the Ke iki cottages and they don't have any availability for our dates.

Picked my avatar because I love walking on the beach, but do have lots of sunset pictures from past vacations! I understand the difference between onshore and offshore winds, but don't understand if one or the other preferable when you are on the beach? Hope that's not a stupid question!

Am showing my husband the actual rentals in the different places and hoping he will make the decision! Still open to any other opinions on choices in the meantime.

Thanks again.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

Kailua is on the windward side of the island. This is where the trade winds bring in the trade showers. In March, this is the wettest side of the island. It's very green for a reason!! These showers are usually in the early morning and late evening hours. They are short in duration. The Hawaiians call them "little blessings"!!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

Here's one I have saved in my file on the North Shore in the Waimea Bay area.

www.vrbo.com/73249

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimea Bay
Waimea Bay
1,000 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

Can't help but chime in...We loved staying in Punalu'u last April and will return this coming April. This side of Oahu is so tropical and lush, every turn in the road provides postcard perfect shots..."Our" beach provided long stretches to walk on and search for shells. I'd walk for a couple of hours every morning and my husband would join me around 8:30 with a fresh cup of coffee....what a way to start the day!

Having said all this...if we were to come to Oahu in March, I think we would choose to stay somewhere nearer to Diamond Head on the South Shore or Halewai on the North. Oahu had a really long, rainy spell last year and even though it usually doesn't last long, I wouldn't take the chance with my precious vacation time.

Have fun planning.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

I also enjoyed Punaluu. I was there for a week in mid-March a few years ago and the weather was perfect. We had a nice, updated condo at Pat's with amazing ocean and sunrise views. Good jumping off place for exploring the windward and north shores.

Mentioned in this post
Pat's at Punalu'u
Pat's at Punalu'u
141 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

Thank you all who replied to my post. We have decided to stay in Kailua because Kailua Bay and beach look so beautiful, and because we like also being close to Kailua Town. More to do nearby for days we just want to hang out and relax. (Planning to be busier while on Waikiki.) Also planning to take day trips from Kailua and definitely will be driving up to the North Shore. Anyway, I sometimes try to provide helpful replies on TA for places I'm familiar with and always think it's nice to find out what the OP decides to do, so, thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

Thanks so much for getting back to us. I too like to find out what an op finally decides!! Trip reports are much appreciated on the Hawaii forums too!!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay North Shore/Windward side

Thanks for letting us know your "final answer". Hope you have a great trip. Eat at Pinky's.