We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

Hummelstown, pa
Level Contributor
294 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the single best, make your toes curl and mouth water, steak on the entire Island. If someone says Ruth's Chris I'm dissapointed. I am looking for better. Prime, Dry aged, well you get the picture. Thanks in advance

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

I happen to like RC, but I'm biased as my mother in law owns 4 of them. Try Hy's. It seems to get good reviews from people on the forum.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

The best steaks I've had on island were from the Chart House and Duke's. Haven't been to the real fancy places except Hy's and I wasn't impressed with their steak.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,647 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

Aloha,

Sounds like D.K.'s is your spot:

http://www.dksteakhouse.com/

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,935 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

I think the best place to get a perfectly good steak and a reasonable price is at Chuck's Steak House in the Outrigger Waikiki.

And it's really all about the view. Get there early, get a seat outside "on the rail" and enjoy a good steak with a "fair" salad bar and great mai-tai's for pretty good pricing.

I've eaten lots of steaks and I just never had one worth $50, so why not get a pretty good one for $34 and have the view and ambiance too.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,390 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

I can tell you the best steak on the island is NOT at Chuck's, The Chart House, Duke's, Buzz's or Outback despite some people's assertions. I actually DO like all those places and go to them at different times, but it is not when I want the best steak possible, it usually has more to do with cost and ambiance.

In the running would be Hy's, Morton's, dk steakhouse and BLT, but Honolulu really isn't a great steak town. Hy's is my personal fave because I can do BLT& Morton's in LA (Wolfgang's too), it has an old school feel and we've been going there forever. dk would be my back-up.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

Another vote for Hy's.....

Since they dry age their beef, I can appreciate it that is tastes a little "funny" to some.

Most of the popular places mentioned such as Ruth Chris, Chart House, Chuck's, etc., either do not age their meat in-house or use a wet aging process.

Wolfgang's and DK also dry age their cuts, not sure which process Morton's uses (but I know they are aged), and don't know what BLT does, but Scott's list covers the top offerings in town, for sure.

In addition to having a great atmosphere (from a resident's perspective where we have nothing else with a comparable feel), they make awesome salads and desserts tableside, they have local music legend Audy Kimura playing wonderful tunes Wed through Sat.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 00:53
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

I'm not a fan of Chuck's either .. great views ... but the steaks I've had there were tough .. so I'm not going back.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,935 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

I didn't say it was the best steak. I said it was a perfectly good steak and a great place to enjoy the view while getting it.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

I love that view, too, placebets, it's where I took my profile pic from:) But I would agree that Hy's is probably the best steak, it's our favourite here in Vancouver, too.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,935 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hands Down, Best Steak on the Island

sandibeachlvr - wow what a fantatic picture. I'm glad to know where that is cause I have wondered when I've seen it before.

Mine was taken when I was laying face down (too many free drinks) on a craps table in Las Vegas !! LOL

Not nearly as good as yours.

Actually I don't ever eat a steak at Chuck's anyway. But I do love their teriyaki chicken with a side of sauteed mushrooms. mmmmmm tasty