We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring my own Teabags ?

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
434 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Bring my own Teabags ?

Greetings,

I am up for my 3rd trip to Oahu next March. Everytime we visit I have difficulty getting plain old black teabags for my husband. Im thinking about bringing them from Australia.Im good with coffee, he loves his Tea. Can anyone think if this is a customs issue ?It will be sealed. Should I declare it ?

Thanks for any insight.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

If he likes his own home tea bags, take them....it'll keep him happy...

I took heaps of packs of Bushells Australian Tea for gifts for friends in Canada and the US and got through customs no problems at all.

There used to be a tea shop in Ala Moana Mall, but I don't remember seeing it the last time I was there .. altho I wasn't looking for it.

I can recommend that when you go to an ABC Store (who doesn't?), they sell some nice iced tea in packets.

They also have some refreshing sun juice drinks in the packs ... (about the same size as a packet of chicken noodle soup) ... I've had the orange/passion .. just yummy. You just add water and ice .. Good idea for gifts to bring home for friends. Here's the link to see what I am talking about.

http://www.abcstores.com/browse.cfm/2,52.html

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,866 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

How much space can tea bags take? I'm even bringing my own, small coffee grinder this coming trip!

I got my mom and assortment of tropical teas from the ABC store and she loved them, so it might be fun to mix it up with your regular one.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,059 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

I don't travel from Australia, but I do carry tea bags in my purse all the time. Especially for the cold, cold plane ride.

alamoanacenter.com/Stores/Lupicia-Fresh-Tea

Eagle, this is probably the tea store you were referring to.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

Oooh didn't know the ABC stores had iced tea in packets.. my partner will like that. Cheers, Eaglemaniac!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,466 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

You can but there are all kinds of teas all over the place. Stores like Safeway, Foodland and Whole Foods will carry a dozen or more brands and varieties, Starbucks has one brand, ditto for Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, but they have 10-12 varieties and then Ala Moana has the Lupicia Store, so there is no lacking of brands or varieties in Hawaii.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

I have a hard time finding loose tea, but the bags are everywhere. (I've yet to find tea bags that make good tea. Maybe I should look into Australian brands?)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

Bring your own. Simply by using up room in your bags for the trip over you are saving space for shopping!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

"Normal" American tea (like Lipton) is just horrible. I only drink tea, and always bring my own bags whenever I travel (no space or weight issues). However, a friend brought me the most fabulous tea made in Hawaii, from the Hawaiian Islands Tea Company, which I can't wait to buy myself. I believe it's available in ABC Stores. I really like the Passion Fruit flavor, but there are other flavors too. If you're a tea lover, I think you might like to try these out, or take them home as gifts!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,059 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

Moana Surfider Hotel is famous for its teas. They sell some of them - and if you can't find the store in the hotel, ask. Quite yummy.

Also, Island Vintage Coffee, in the Royal Hawaiian Center, has a large selection of teas - last time I was there. Honolulu Coffee Company does as well.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
434 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bring my own Teabags ?

Thanks everyone you have all spoiled me for choice ! Im keen to get some for my tea loving friends now too. He just enjoys his daily cuppa of no frills Twinings Australian Breakfast Tea, very hard to get in the USA. Actually Betty Lou I think I will pack them in my purse and see what happens ?