We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illikai to airport by bus.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Illikai to airport by bus.

Thinking of renting a car for last couple of days of vacation. How long of bus ride is it from the Illikai resort to the airport. Think i read on Bus lines can take either Bus #19 or #20?

Thought we would rent from airport so we can simply return to airport before we head back home therefore saving the shuttle cost .

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

Or you could rent on Waikiki and return to the airport. There may be a surcharge.

http://thebus.org/

The bus ride between the Ilikai and the airport would be 45 - 50 minutes.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

Is it really worth about an hour of precious vacation time to save just $20ish on a shuttle?

When I take my cost of airline tickets, add it to my hotel cost and divide it by my waking hours in Hawaii, my time there costs me a lot more than $20 an hour.

Have you looked into one-way car rentals? They cost more per day, but might be the most cost-effective choice for you. You would take a shuttle upon arrival, then pick your car up days later in Waikiki, then return it to the airport. (You can research the costs of doing it this way at the rental car company websites.)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

One way rentals where you pick up in town and drop off at airport come with a dropoff fee of $75.00. Beachmee add that to your $20per person.x4=$80 Thats $155.00.

I can rent from airport and return for 2 days rental total cost $81.00. I have done the math.So YES i think it's worth a hour of my time.

BTW thats works out a lot more then $20 of my time.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 03:43
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

BTW" thank you BLBL for my answer of 45-50 minutes. I couldn't figure out it on the bus schedule as didn't ready see the pickup point for Illikai.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,443 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

You will have to cross Ala Moana Blvd to catch bus...

Best to go to stop in front of McDonalds one half block to left from Ilikai.

To assess pick-up time on route schedules, ilikai is between timing points "Q" (Saratoga Kalakaua) and "P" (Ala Moana Center).

The ride is shorter with fewer stops and less crowded in off hours, up to 15 minutes. Much more relaxing

So go early or late, and there will be less of a line at the agency, too.

There is discounted overnight public parking along marina at rear of Ilikai. Just use the pay box ATM.

Free spots during the day.

Great idea. Not much hassle. Fun ride if you time it right.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

Thanks amberloo' . Info on where to catch Bus and points to figure out Bus schedules .Does it matter whether it's Bus 19 or 20 i take?

BTW" the owner of the unit we are renting from on VRBO.com has free parking spot for us, we thought about renting for whole week but the cost and we would not be using the car everyday anyways.

For the $81 through Dollar we have received (txs included) a 2 day rental is perfect for us and with 4 of us needing a ride back to the airport it pays for itself almost.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

Point taken! But remember that if you're comparing the airport pick-up with the in-Waikiki option, the difference actually more like *two hours* of your time because you have to get to the airport then drive back through traffic again.

Whereas renting in Waikiki saves you not just the one-way trip but the round trip.

Still, that is a hefty one-way fee ...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

LOL. Driving thru traffic will be a breeze compared to out traffic we have in Toronto.About only place i have been that had about same traffic was Miami during rush hour.

LA (california)area was a breeze for us during a visit there a couple of years ago.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

Take either #19 or #20 as their route to airport is same. Whichever comes first. We were on #19 yesterday, which moved very quickly as traffic is quite light now once out of Waikiki.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Illikai to airport by bus.

Ooohhh! You have a parking space! You may have already done this, but did you compare the cost of a weekly rate to your 2 days? May not be too much different. And you can drive to Pearl Harbor, the grocery store ... Ala Moana Center ... and you can carry stuff. No shuttles! More flexibility. So it is worth your consideration.

Don't get me wrong, I've taken the bus alot. I've used the bus stop on the corner of Ala Moana and Hobron (where Amberloo guided you) ... so often! It's very active. You won't wait long.

And when in doubt about the bus - stick your head in the door and ask. And use the link I gave you above.

$2.50 each way - exact change.