We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

Yardley...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

Hi, travelling to Hawaii in May 2013; we have booked our 5 nights in Waikiki and then we will rent a car and travel north. I have tried VRBO for Sunset Beach but haven't been successful in reaching/confirming a cottage with the owner there. Found a really nice place in Punaluu but am not familar with this location. Sounds like it is right off the highway and may not be very tranquil - definitely looking to be able to chill out. I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

With that many nights, have you considered going to 2 islands?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,820 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

yes - how about a week on Kauai's northshore? That would be chill. :)

Yardley...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

we have thought about it but feel that we need at least 10 days to see/do everything we want to do.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

You'll find plenty to keep you happy all that time on Oahu.

The north side of the island isn't that far from Waikiki. You could certainly stay in Waikiki the whole time and still enjoy all the North Shore and windward coast have to offer.

However, if you want the change of scenery, the two most common places to start shopping are Turtle Bay Resort and vrbo.com.

Vrbo.com has vacation rentals in different parts of the island, including the North Shore and windward coasts. With enough searching there I'm sure you can find exactly what you're looking for!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

I too would do 5 nights Oahu, 7 nights Kauai.

You wouldn't run out of things to do on Oahu for 12 nights, but you might in 7 nights on the North Shore of Oahu.

Punalu'u is great for getting away and doing little because there is little to do in the area.

http://goo.gl/maps/lOE39

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

Punalu'u is tranquil, especially if you stay in one of the cottages. You would be able to walk out of your cottage and be on the beach in oh...about 15, 20 steps. The beach there is great for sunrises, long walks and another bonus of staying at Pat's is free parking. Yes, there is a highway right beside the condo building that does make the condo that we rent a little noisy at times as all the bedrooms are on the west side of the building(closest to the road) but the cottages are right on the water and further away from the road, so all you will hear are the waves. Have fun planning and please take the time to read my reviews and forum posting. Bye

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

This is a good set of Oahu maps. You can zoom in. You can also click on any of the more detailed maps.

Punaluu is close to Laie.

hawaiidriveguides.com/OahuDriveGuide/I-3_I-4…

8. Re: 5 nights in Waikiki & 7 nights where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 07:17