We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip report with a little bit different perspective

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
383 reviews
Save Topic
A trip report with a little bit different perspective

So here I sit in our little suite at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club in Oahu after a very long day getting from Houston to Honolulu. My wife is here on business at the Chevron refinery out on the SW corner of the island. Funny but we were here 6 years or so ago for a project with Tesoro but on that one we were put up in Honolulu which was good for first time visitors but not so good for my wife who had to make the drive every day between lodging and work! This trip we really wanted to be closer to work so I can have fun all day and then make a dash to pick up my wife from work and not spend too much time in traffic. We've done most of the touristy things and this is more of an opportunity to travel together and get some R & R and work on the suntan.

We live in Houston and thankfully United (formerly Continental) has a nice direct flight leaving at 9:40 am or so and getting in around 2pm Honolulu time. We were fortunate to be in the BF cabin of the refurbished Boing 767-400ER so we had the newer lie flat seats and roomy overhead storage bins. We were offered the usual before flight refreshments and soon were in the air leaving an abnormally warm and balmy Houston January day. About an hour into the flight they started the beverage and food service. My wife had a Mimosa and I opted for straight Champagne. I always think of that Sean Connery-James Bond movie where the wicked Japanese business man tells Bond he should try a glass of Champagne every morning!

I'm not a big fan of the "New United" meals in first so I pre-ordered a vegetarian meal. It seems like most lunches and dinner revolve around chicken and I've personally never seen such small chicken breasts that United serves and I just don't think they taste that good... Hey it's just me. So they came around taking orders and guess what? Chicken and vegetables or a pasta dish with Marinara sauce! My wife chose the later and I had a nice Indian style meal with saffron rice, curried cauliflower, saag paneer (sort of a creamed spinach) and a lentil dish as well as onion filled bread I think is called piratha. VERY TASTY.

Over the next 8 hours I watched a couple of movies, had a snack, read some of the book on my tablet and played about 50 games of Solitaire and then we were touching down on a rainy tarmac. Retrieved our bags: 2 suitcases and a duffel bag with beach stuff for snorkeling, etc. and some cooking supplies as we stay in apartments a lot and never know what will be there so I just plan ahead and bring some of the things from home we like. We got a great deal on a car from Avis, my wife just happened to see it and booked it and as she occasionally checked back it kept going up in price. We got a brand new Ford Edge with all the bells and whistles for 15 days for $800 and change! Going for almost double now. We got out our GPS and got it set up, it was still on Australia maps and the metric system from our 8 weeks there in 2012. Got on the freeway heading west, seems like it has been widened since our last visit. We saw the Safeway as we got near the exit for the Marriot and the Costco off in the distance. We arrived at the hotel, never been there before so it took awhile to figure out which tower to go to. It was 3pm but they did not have a room for us ready and said they would by 4pm so we went back to Safeway to get some breakfast items. When we got back they told us we were in tower 2, the Hale Moana Tower on the 3rd floor with a mountain view.

We got to our room and it is nice and has much more of a kitchen then I was expecting. Not the greatest view, mostly we see the palm trees and the road but we didn't come for the view. We were both tired so since I do all the cooking, I whipped up some really fresh pan seared marlin in a wine butter sauce, potato hash and sauteed Chinese mustard cabbage with bacon, garlic and white wine.

10 pm and I have now been up for something like 22 hours, my wife is fast asleep so I am headed there and tomorrow will be our one day to relax together before the work week starts. I'll post every few days with some of the things that are happening, don't want to bore anyone. Aloha po!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective

Wow......that was quite an excellent meal you made after such a long flight. I think I am doing good making breakfast for dinner on vacations.....lol! Have fun and looking forward to more updates. Deb

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective

You're not boring. Keep 'em coming.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective

I know you will have fun ... it will be interesting to hear what your thoughts are about staying there.

Do go to the new visitor center at the Arizona Memorial ... it changes everytime I go to Honolulu and I can't wait to see the new one all completed.

If you haven't been on the USS MIssouri do that too ...

Enjoy your week....!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective

Thanks for the positive comments, and yes I do enjoy cooking and the marlin was fresh and a good price. Yes things are more expensive but it's the nature of island life. But Safeway is like any other chain and there are always things on special.

Two things my wife told me she wants to do: Do Diamond Head instead of just driving by it like last time and eat at the hamburger place up on the north shore, Kua Aina. We are here for 2 weeks now but will be back in early March for another 3 week visit.

I should add that my title "A different perspective" is because we are half here on business and half (my half) for pleasure as opposed to most who come here just for fun and relaxation

Edited: 27 January 2013, 19:42
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective

Can't wait to read more. Enjoying your report. You make my holiday cooking look really bad....salad and meat or seafood for us..

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective

Boring? You're kidding! I just Love a great, well written trip report.

7. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 07:15