We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
385 reviews
Save Topic
A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

Day 2, a Sunday.

As a reminder, I used the title "a bit different perspective" since we are here for mostly work but also out on the S.western end of the island and mostly apartment bound at the Marriot KOBC

Well we slept pretty well. My only complaint with our room at the Marriot Ko Olino Beach Club is that in our room to get the kitchen/living room area to the right temperature requires making the bedroom/bathroom pretty frosty. Bad design by the HVAC guys who did the system. So I took a piece of cardboard from a box and slid it into our vent half way to decrease the bedroom air and force air to the other parts and it worked great! I am a real do-it-your-selfer! I went out on our balcony at about 6am and was surprised at the activity... lots of folks arriving for work and I would say that from a strictly economic standpoint, this is a good thing that people who need it have work! They were also busy with some kind of machine grooming the golf courses and delivery trucks were arriving.

We chilled out and had our once a week or so non heart healthy breakfast... eggs... I like mine scrambled and she likes fried.... a bit of bacon, I fried some tomatoes, left over potato hash from the night before and ww tortillas for me and ww bread for the Mrs.

Thankfully the MKOBC as I will refer to it has pretty good wifi internet for those who bring a laptop or tablet/smartphone or whatever. We dressed and went down and stopped by the main desk to talk to Terrence who rang us up yesterday promising discount vouchers and other treats. I cautioned my wife that we might get a soft sell on time shares, etc. but we found Terrence at the Aloha desk to be a very nice man and full of personalized information and suggestions. For instance, once he knew we were not a newly wed couple here on our first trip and interpreted our needs he soon suggested places I might like to shop for really good local produce, fish, etc... He also forked over a lot of those "souvenirs they give out, like shell necklaces, once we told him we had 5 grand daughters... etc.

We left and went on our main shopping run for getting the apartment stocked with pantry items as well as a few main meal items. I love grocery stores in other cities or countries so even a trip to THE WALMART was ok. They are a good place to get generic Hawaiian souvenirs so we got a few things and checked it out.... very new and clean and almost fancy.

Then off to Costco where we got some incredibly fresh tuna sashimi over shredded daikon. By the way they have really good poke there and we found out from Terrence that it is made by Taniokes Fish market in Waipahu. Kudos to Costco to good local sourcing for specialty items. We got a lot of good packable lunch choices for my wife who needs to take a lunch to work at the refinery as they don't have a canteen or cafeteria. Once again why this trip report is a bit different!!!

Over by the Costco/Home Depot/Target we also found one other nice grocery store that is geared towards vegetarians and vegans and those looking for totally organic stuff. It is called Down to Earth and the quality of their produce was better then anything else we have seen but it is pricey. They also have a big selection of the usual bulk grain bins and other package products. I bought a tub of firm tofu, vowing to fix it for some heart healthy lunches or dinners to counter any effects of our weekly egg breakfasts.

When we got back from shopping, house keeping had stopped by our room and something we found was rather funny. We had mentioned to Terrrence that we would love a couple of more firm foam pillows instead of the feathery ones they provide. We found our bed made up with 4 pillows and the usual 3 large sham pillows and then stacked in the middle was 6 more pillows of varying densities and thicknesses. Ten pillows!!! Guess we could have a pillow fight!

Spoiler alert here... we ate in for dinner and just chilled as my wife has to be up and ready for work at 6am. Nothing special but some good home cooked comfort food and a glass or two of nice red wine and some really tasty Belgian biscuits from Costco for dessert!

Chilling out and in an Internet brain freeze but the rain is falling big time outside with a severe thunder storm alert and flash flood warning. This is like East Texas rain that we know... the kind that is "knee high to a Ferris Wheel"! Oh well, a rainy day in Oahu beats most other places bad weather like a royal flush beats a simple pair in poker!

Aloha!

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

Really enjoying your reports! More please!

BTW, I worked for BP for twelve years so know the biz pretty well. - Is your wife there for a turnaround or other?

Is that refinery still basically a hydroskimmer for Indosian light sweet, with a smidge of ANS?

Enjoy your time there~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

Enjoyed reading day 2. Thanks again.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

Keeping up on your reports, thanks!!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

Thank you for your continuing trip reports. I love them! We also found Long's Drug Store to be a great place for gift items. Love how well they are taking care of you at the Marriot.

Scarborough, Maine
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

Just returned from the Marriott last week. Reading your trip report I can pretend I am still there. My wife is vegetarian and LOVED Down to Earth. Glad you found it. Their salad bar was quite nice. Have fun! Looking forward to more reports!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

Really awesome trip reporting and I am enjoying the ride along very much. I wish I could figure out a way to visit Hawaii on business with my guy! Deb

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

OK, I should be working, but can't stop reading your reports!

8. Re: A trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:19