We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 5

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
129 posts
518 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 5

Thanks to all those that posted nice comments on my previous posts. I'm just trying to share a travel report for a couple that isn't here for a wedding or anniversary but WORK! And having some fun, too!

Today, my wife had to be at work at 8AM for a meeting so we we were up at 5:30 and went for a great walk down past the Disney property whose upper level lighting and roof structure resemble a cathedral or something majestic like that. Several people have told us we should try to go by and tour the property, at least the public areas as Disney does tend to do a nice job on their resorts. A big moon was up and we could hear the sound of crashing waves. As we walked we agreed this would be a good regiment to keep up when we get back home for any length of time (not likely). Something about turning 50+ and your clothes in the closet seem to shrink a bit! Can't be anything we are doing wrong I am sure!!!

After "a good stretch of the legs" as they said in "The Quiet Man" we were back in our blissful abode eating breakfast and surfing the very fast Internet connection that the Marriott has.

I took my wife to work and then headed back to the big M. and grabbed my camera gear and set out to get some pictures of all the pond and shore birds at the near by little lake along the golf course near M. Tower 2. As a semi retired former commercial photographer who took pictures of everything that you typically see in a magazine or Macy's catalog I enjoy shooting pictures of what I like to take now without suggestions from some kind of punk kid who calls himself an Art Director or Account Supervisor!!! I found a spot and hunkered down next to a tree to blend in and was soon shooting black swans, night herons, ducks and what my neighbors in Louisiana call a pouldeau, from French for "coot", poule d'eau - literally "water hen". After a while I moved to the next pond where I got great close up shot of what looked like a mallard family, mom and pop and 6 fuzzy ducklings. Funny thing about digital... I used to worry if I had enough film in my bag, now I just shoot and in no time I shot 300+ pictures that will get edited later.

Lunch time and I had a hankering for "poke" so I drove to Tanioko's in Waipahu just off of exit 7. What can I say, if you come here and really want a "local" meal experience come her and get in line! Parking took 10 minutes at 11AM as it is already crowded and when I got inside there were 20 + in front of me but the line moved steadily. I kept glancing at the poke display trying to get a feel for what to order but there are just so many choices! When I got to the counter I did get some really fresh Ahi fatty belly just to use for sushi in the next day or 2 and got 2 different pokes, 2 types of fish cakes (for immediate consumption in my car) and some gari (pickled ginger) for my sushi adventures later.

Headed back to the big M. and went down to Lagoon 4 for some really nice snorkeling and a chance to see some nice fish of all colors. I was able to knock a sea urchin loose from the rocks and break him open and soon had about 100 fish feeding in front of me. Hope that isn't illegal or anything but there seems to be no shortage of sea urchins so word to the wise for visitors to not blindly climb on the underwater rocks with out water shoes of some kind!

Miller Time came so I picked up my wife from work and we headed home for dinner. We had some really nice opah or moon fish for dinner. I marrinated it for a bit in a miso -sugar wine glaze and grilled it up medium rare. Also grilled some Lousiana Gulf oysters we got at Costco (frozen) but grilled them all the same with a healthy blob of garlic butter. Did you know that if you have fine grater you can grate cloves of garlic really fine? Topped with parsley, toasted bits of french bread nibbles and some finely chopped prosciutto. NICE!

Sorry for the long slog here, can't wait to get to bed as we plan to get up again and walk at dawn determined to shed a few pounds we may pick up at diner!

Mentioned in this post
Waipahu
Waipahu
Oahu, HI
Laie Hawaii Temple
Sacred & Religious Sites, Fountains, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Kapiolani Community College Chapel
Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Kalihi Union Church
Churches & Cathedrals
Sacred Heart Church
Churches & Cathedrals
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
129 posts
518 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 5

One last thought... take the time to look around you on your visit here or anywhere else. Today I saw a wide variety of birds in their natural habitats (well created by Marriott but still!) and later I saw wonderful colorful fish of all kinds in the shallow waters. They are there if you just take the time to look for them!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,290 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 5

Chris: Again, let me applaud you for a great report. I think Hawaii is the perfect place to be for enjoying the outdoors. No need for amusement parks, canned activities, crowded events. I would love to spend a day just like yours...

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 5

Hey, chris, glad you found some good snorkeling at Lagoon #4!! It's not illegal to kill the urchins, just remember, they help keep the reef clean so all those fish can thrive!!

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 5

Nearly missed day 5 - had computer issues - was not happy.!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 5

Wow, loved your report! I'll have to look up your other days.

LA
Level Contributor
10,988 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 5

Really enjoying your reports and your ability to find interesting sights everywhere.

7. Re: Trip report with a little bit different perspective, day 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 05:17