We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

We are quite familiar with Japanese, Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese food being Vancouver residents the majority of our lives. Korean not so much and Hawaiian really not at all. Although we've spent much time in Hawaii I guess we've always or at least largely eaten 'American' with the odd Chinese/Japanese thrown in.

The number of Asian restaurants appears to have quintupled and likewise the number of 'American' restaurants seems to have diminished exponentially. As well DH does not eat fish which doesn't seem to work well with many Asian restaurants, particularly the $$ wise ones. While we are not going to be budget minded on every meal, we would like to have some meals that lean along that line.

What in the world is Fugaki (or something) whatever?

What is Udon? Are those the really big thick noodle things? I really love most noodle anything but really don't like those. It's like (what I imagine to be) eating worms. Ick.

We like what I believe to be the Tepanyaki style of Japanese cooking. You sit around a table with an grill in the middle and a chef comes and cooks various parts of your meal over a period of time. Similar to Benihana at HHV or Suehiro or Kobe in Vancou ver. I believe there is a Kobe in Honolulu also. Are there less expensive Japanese restaurants that do that style of cooking?

What is Loco Moco? Is it basically spam and eggs? If so, DH will love it but I wouldn't tocuh it. :-) Spam YUK.

We also like the soups that we get at a place here called Saigon Noodle House. Wonderful broths with beans sprouts, chunks of meat, green onions and such. Very hearty and delicious and filling. I guess being called Saigon, it is likely Vietnamese in origin?? Where are the Vietnamese restaurants in Honolulu?

Any info you can give me about this largely new to us cuisine will be appreciated. It's a dilemna for me as I love seafood but he does not. I could live my life without a hamburger but he loves them. I'm the restaurant planner so if I haul him off to somewhere he thinks the food sucks, well there goes two relaxing weeks. :-)

Siam Gardens and Hy's are definites on our list. Roy's likely and maybe House without a Key because we spent manyyears at Waikiki Shore and used to look down at Halehulani and wish we had more bucks. :-)

Definitely know the one thing we will be happy to be home about is the Mex and Ital. LOL!!

Mahalo Nui Loa for any input.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 00:45
Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

Apologies for the errors in spelling and such but 'the window' had closed before I could edit further. I'm sure you'll get my intent.

Mahalo

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

Yes udon is the thicker type noodle how about ramen there are some great ramen places on Oahu. Ezogiku or Ramen Nakamura in Waikiki or Goma Tei Ramen at the Ala Moana Center.

Loco moco is 2 hamburger patties over rice with gravy over that and then fried eggs on top yummy.

The soup you get at the vietnamese place is called pho and yes you can get that on Oahu.

Look at the top questions to the right the one called Amberloo and food he is a longtime Oahu resident great rec's on there.

If you like thai food and go to the North Shore on your visit try Opal's Thai in Haliewa it is the best thai food I have ever had.

I don't care for Teppenyaki style myself and unfortunately where we live that's all there is bummer.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

Love food threads!

Hubby is a Loco Moco connoisseur. One (or two) scoops rice, topped with a hamburger pattie, topped with brown gravy and a fried egg. What makes one better than another is the gravy. All kinds of variations too, Spam, Portuguese sausage.

For me, Spam is best used in Spam Musabi. A slice of fried Spam, a fried egg in the middle of rice wrapped in Nori (seaweed) and pressed. Eat it like a sandwich. YUM!

3Chihuahuas

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

Google is your friend! I've spent plenty of time looking at definitions of food almost anywhere we go (callaloo, anyone?)

Loco moco: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loco_moco

Look for pho places for your Vietnamese dishes. Pho is a soup or stew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pho

Most restaurants have plenty of other things to choose from: beef, pork, chicken, and vegetarian. Take a look at the menu for Hula Grill, for example.

Some other words you may encounter regarding food:

huli huli chicken: hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2009/6…

Poke (this won't impress your husband):

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poke_%28Hawaii%29

Malasadas (this should make both of you happy if you seek a sweet treat):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malasada

Leonard's is tops for them.

Shave ice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_ice

Pipikalua short ribs are dry aged ribs with a marinade. They are very tasty, but unusual for many palates, mostly because the meat is not buttery soft. It has terrific flavor. Helenas would be my recommendation for them.

Laulau http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laulau. Helenas has some great laulau; I've had chicken and squid.

I am so hungry now!

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

Mahalo 3 Chi - I think DH would be in heaven with this. Me maybe not so much but I will try it. So where are the best places to get that 'gravy that makes it'? I like both hamburger patties and rice fine although it seems strange topped with an egg. :-) But I do want to try it so will depend on your 'best place gravy' advice.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

WC - can you wait until September? That's when we'll be back from our first trip to O‘ahu, lol.

Now if you're talking the Big Island, that would be Cafe 100 in Hilo, hands down the BEST.

Kaua‘i - Mark's Place or Hanalima Baking, both in Puhi. Village Snack in Hanalei because you can get hashbrowns instead of rice with extra gravy...hubby LOVES it. Literally heart attack on a plate.

ddffpp - at Helena's, did you mean squid luau? I'm dying to try it!

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 14 February 2013, 04:07
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,338 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

"I like both hamburger patties and rice fine although it seems strange topped with an egg. :-) But I do want to try it so will depend on your 'best place gravy' advice."

I agree with you. I like loco moco's. Tried it the way it is explained & they are good.

I prefer the egg(s) on the side. Most places will do it if you ask.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

My mistake, 3Chis, yes, it was the squid luau. I should have consulted the menu rather than trying to remember on my own. And it was delicious!

Oh, that reminds me of one more 'splanation:

Haupia - the coconut desert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haupia

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,338 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

My favorite "dining" on the island was having dim sum in Chinatown and plate lunches around the island.

Nothing better than stopping at a restaurant like Keneke's in Waimanalo & going to the beach to eat.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please 'Splain some of these Food Items

Keneke's has good loco moco.