We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Snow Moon over Oahu!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
386 reviews
Save Topic
Full Snow Moon over Oahu!

My wife and I are back for another 3 weeks of her working here and me just taking care of her by cooking, transportation, snorkeling instruction and all around tour guide.

So we were up at 5am for our morning walk along the lagoons at Ko Olina and what a sight! A full moon above the western horizon and moonlight shimmering on the ocean.

Native Americans on the mainland referred to the February moon as the Full Snow Moon since heavy snows often fell then but I would think that the original Hawaiians gave it a different name!

Yes it is a bit early but if you get a chance check it out!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Snow Moon over Oahu!

Well I did some internet research and did find this:

The Hawaiians considered there to be four full moons and Hua marked the first of the full moons. Hua means egg, fruit and seed, among other things. The meaning egg refered to the near full shape of the moon. This was a sacred night to Lono and it was good luck for planting and fishing.

Akua means God, Goddess as well as corpse, devil and idol. This is the second full Hawaiian moon and is near the full round shape. This was a good night for fishing. Offerings were often made on this evening to the Gods where walking about.

The third day of the four Hawaiian full moons was called Hoku and believed to be the fullest moon and was good for anything that was planted in rows.

The last night of the four Hawaiian full moon and was good for all types of work, planting and fishing. As you can see, the Hawaiians took full advantage of the four full moons.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 00:43
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Snow Moon over Oahu!

Oh and the 4th full moon was called Māhealani

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Snow Moon over Oahu!

Welcome back, Chris.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Snow Moon over Oahu!

Are you still there? I am so jealous! : )

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Snow Moon over Oahu!

We were treated to a full moon when we were on Maui last Sept./Oct. and it was something I had never seen over the ocean, lighting up the water. It was such a treat! And yes.....somewhat jealous. :-))) Thanks for the info and have fun! Deb

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,401 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Snow Moon over Oahu!

Aloha,

Maybe if there is a little sprinkle you might see a moonbow

Aloha

7. Re: Full Snow Moon over Oahu!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 06:15