We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Suggestions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Suggestions

Can anyone recommend a hotel on Oahu. My wife and I (31 and 34) and our 1.5 year old son will be spending 4 nights next year.

We are interested in a great beach location, nice pool, easy access to off-property restaurants, and a little bit of luxury. We would also like to see Pearl Harbor off course and we will have a car.

Thank you for your help.

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Suggestions

Please give a nightly budget.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Suggestions

We can't help you without an idea of your nightly accomodations budget.

Please tell us what month you are traveling.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Suggestions

I would take a peek at the Royal Hawaiian to get your search started...

I think it would satisfy your requests for a nice pool, your bit of luxury, easy access to great restaurants as it is in the "heart" of the Waikiki strip but still tucked into beautiful grounds so you do not feel like you are so crowded, and a nice beach. And I think their resort fee (somewhat steep) will include parking!

Hope this gives you somewhere to start :)

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,151 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Suggestions

I hate to disagree with HawaiiGirl, but i think the pool at the Royal Hawaiian is pathetic. It used to be only bad, but they redid it and now its not much bigger than a hot tub.

You would have access to the pool at the Sherton Waikiki which is larger and has a waterslide and lots of kids.

Pools are not the big deal on Waikiki that they are in some other places.

Still, Royal Hawaiian is a very nice hotel and in the middle of the Waikiki action. Also suggest you look at the Moana (only in a tower room) and the Outrigger Waikiki. These 3 hotels are next to each other in the middle of Waikiki restaurants, shopping and beach activities.

Both the Moana and Outrigger have pools right next to the beach, but are not anything to brag about.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Suggestions

PB, you are disagreeing with me... well, I never! LOL

You are correct :) although I wouldn't necessarily say "pathetic" ! lol

Actually I was thinking of the Sheraton pool - should have mentioned that... I am not a big pool person, can you tell!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Suggestions

I would not pass up on the Royal Hawaiian simply because the pool designated for grown-ups only isn't a master piece. There's a big 'ol beach out there. Waikiki! Heard of it?

Until we hear back from mattandjoy - we have no idea what they want anyway. The description in their original post sounds like they have no mental picture of what Waikiki is like.

Aloha, Oregon
Level Contributor
127 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Suggestions

Check out the Outrigger Reef. We've stayed there several times and love it. Quieter end of Waikiki, next to Ft.Derussy Park. Practically across the street from Waikiki Beach Walk (restaurants & shopping) and maybe 2 blocks to Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. People with little ones have complained about the pool being cold tho. You walk out the back of the hotel onto the beach. Walk a few yards to the right to a bigger beach with nicer sand . Newly renovated and nice staff. No resort fees either, but parking is $35 like most of waikiki. Have fun.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,151 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Suggestions

HawaiiGirl - I'm sorry, but I did say I hate to do it !! LOL

I tried to be gentle !!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Suggestions

Hi all. Thank you to those who offered suggestions. And BLBL....considering that I am asking for hotel suggestions, it is pretty clear that I am a newbie to the area (I think I was pretty clear what we were looking for. If Oahu hotels do not typically have "nice pools" that simple sentence would have sufficed). So thank you for your helpful tips. Our budget is likely to be 400-600 per night.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Suggestions

Look at the Halekulani, Royal Hawaiian or Moana Surfrider. You can't go wrong with any of these. The pools are all "nice" just not big like some other hotels.