We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

San Francisco
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

My question is what do I do during that 1 hour waiting after I get the tickets? I guess I can't drive away then I lose my parking spot. Please give some suggestions. I have 2 boys who will be bored during waiting. Mahalo.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

There is no reason, if you're driving, to arrive one hour early for your reserved tickets. We visited earlier this week, and took a shuttle bus there which was late. We arrived at 11:00 for our 11:30 tour. I checked my purse at the bag storage, picked up the tickets (no line), walked around the displays and took photos, and got in line at 11:20. There are some informational placards to read, but yes, your boys might be bored for a full hour. A half hour before your tour time should be plenty.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

But on the tickets, it said you have to pick up 1 hour early? Otherwise I would reserve 10 am tickets. Please advise. Did you reserve the tickets at that recreation website? recently? Mahalo

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

Yes, I reserved them through www.recreation.gov. I didn't notice the advice to pick them up that early, but no one said a thing when I got them! There were even people on our 11:30 tour who were supposed to be on the 11:15 that were admitted anyway. All the tour of the Arizona memorial consists of is a 20-minute movie and a boat ride to the memorial where most people just stayed 15 minutes and returned when the next boat came. There isn't that much to see at the memorial itself. It's the other optional attractions like the USS Missouri and the Bowfin submarine that charge an additional fee ($30 for the both per person) that take up more time at the site. We spent five hours total there and I was very tired by the end of the day!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,404 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

There is lots of things to look at while you wait for your hour. Don't know how old your boys are, but there is a nice museum to look through and some other memorials around the site.

You might get there and be able to get tickets for an earlier boat to the memorial also.

Then there is a submarine and battleship you can also tour after you go to the Arizona memorial.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

We arrived our hour early and they gave us tickets for an earlier tour time. There were a lot of people milling around and there is some stuff to look at to keep busy.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

Here's the website to get a better idea of what else there is to do and the prices at the Pearl Harbor site: http://www.pearlharborhistoricsites.org/deals

Just keep in mind that USS Arizona Memorial is the only free thing to do here... the museum, the Missouri and the Bowfin are all managed by a separate organization outside of the U.S. Park Service and they charge to see the sites. I admit I didn't study this aspect of my visit very well and was surprised by the fees. However, I felt it was worthwhile to see, and if the boys are really into military equipment or history, they'll love it. However, it is a lot of ground to cover and you might want to limit what you pay for; probably the Missouri would be the most interesting since you can see a lot of the ship and it takes a long time. But the website will tell you a lot.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,502 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

You need the ticket for the film & the ferry to & from the memorial and the time on the memorial.

There are other artifacts there to see, both inside & outside.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

It say's on the web-site to be there an hour early. That is what you should do. Now that the Park Service is cutting back, the USS Arizona is cutting the number of tours they do a day and are closing an half an hour earlier. Depending on what time of year you go, if you aren't there an hour early they will give your tour time to those who walk up. The busier it is the more likely that will happen.

There is plenty of places to walk around and look at, your boy's would have room to roam. Even if you don't do the other attractions. That hour goes by fast!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I will try to get there as early as possible and hopefully get on an early tour; then explore others.

10. Re: pearl harbor--arrive 1 hour early to get reserved tickets-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 06:17