We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kailua town

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Kailua town

Best things to do in kailua? Ohana feeling things to do there? Also, are there any coconuts sold for drinking?

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kailua town

Don't know if you have been to Kailua Town before or what your mental image of it is. But I can tell you it is not a quaint, charming, loveable lil town to stroll around in.

Kailua Beach is drop dead gorgeous. Buzz's is a nice place for lunch or dinner. The Kalapawai Market puts out some tasty sandwiches.

But Kailua Town, meh.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kailua town

Kailua is a suburban residential town, notable for it's gorgeous beach and honestly, not much more.

We have many stores that are mainland-based---Macy's, Whole Foods, Long's. A few Kailua-themed gift-shoppy places. Some decent eateries including some higher-end "chic" places (with accordingly "chic" prices)---something for everyone, really, as far as dining goes.

If you were to take the beach and the Ko'olau mountains away it could be AnyTown, USA.

But back to the OP's question.

"Ohana things." The most obvious thing would be the beach. My grandkids' favorite, always. Just yell "BEACH, KIDS!" and the bickering stops and they pile into the car. Boogies boards, towels, a cooler full of goodies, and we're good to go. Island Snow shave ice afterwards. Yay.

Head down Kalanianaole Hwy to Sea Life Park but try to get some discount coupons---it's overpriced for what you get. Kids seem to love it, though, so it's worth a mention here.

Check out the local papers for fairs, etc, that might be fun for families. Otherwise, just your typical suburban town.

And no, none of those roadside ice-cold-coconut places here. Think lots of California-style ranch houses, schools, traffic lights, grocery stores.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kailua town

Lol! I see that KailuaMama is still trying to keep tourists out of "her" town in her passive-aggressive ways.

Kailua looks NOTHING like a California ranch house community, where planned communities are the norm. Lots of schools? Hardly. In the main part of Kailua, you have the elementary and intermediate school...and that's it. Other than one Italian place, I would not consider any of the restaurants chic or too expensive. There are some nice tourist focused shops and the mainland chains such as Macy's have Hawaiian themed products,as well. There is a very cool farmers market on Thursday afternoons where a number of restaurants sell food as well. Up above lanikai, is a popular hiking trail. Just google "Lanikai pillbox trail" and you'll get the info. You can also still rent kayaks and paddle in Kailua Bay; however, the new law requires that you rent offsite and get them to the beach yourself. Google Kailua sailboards and kayaks for that information.

Kailua is an awesome little town. Although it has certainly changed from the 30 years I lived there, it is far different than the Hawaiian vacation you will experience in Waikiki. Feel free to message me for more info. It is far different than "anytown" USA. She did get one thing right...no coconut stands.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kailua town

Honestly, "KailuaBred," I don't give a royal hoot who comes here. I own a 700x100 plot of soil with a house on it, nothing else. The rest of the town is free to all others who care to come here.

But I am entitled to my opinion, nonetheless. Looking back at my post I have to wonder what inspired such a reply.

It really is a suburban town, somewhat a bedroom community of Honolulu. It has about 6000 residents per square mile. Looks very much like a California ranch-house community to me, though others might not think so---I have family in different parts of California and I think the similarity is striking. Drive through Campbell CA and, except for different vegetation (and neater carports, sometimes, LOL), they could be the same towns. As I said, the Ko'olau mountains are lovely, the beach is gorgeous.

And I did say that there was "something for everyone" as far as eateries are concerned. Lots of great places to eat here for all budgets. One of the cool things about Kailua. :-)

I don't recall saying "lots of schools" but, if anyone is interested (I doubt it at this point, LOL), Kailua is home to seven elementary schools, one intermediate school, two high schools and three private schools. Just part of being a suburban residential community, I guess. Lots of schools, families, kids.

Sure it is different than Waikiki...but that wasn't the OP's focus.

AlanandRoberta seemed much less charmed with Kailua than I am....perhaps you should explore what prompted their less-than-lukewarm response!

Aloha! ;-)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kailua town

Thanks to all :) since my daughter and her friends are planning to go to lanikai beach they might as well see the town, right? No harm. It sounds like a nice town. I might suggest haleiwa to them because from what i've researched, it has a farmers market open at 3 rather than 5 but it is an hour away from waikiki and they might have to return late if they will go after seeing lanikai.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kailua town

Here's a link to a little video of Kailua Town. To the left are more videos---some of them are really nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KmWHh-VZyI

Oh, and a correction to my earlier post. I meant "70 x100," not "700 x 100," LOL. Just a little suburban plot. :-)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kailua town

Take a drive through Kailua with Street View on Google Earth.

3Chihuahuas

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kailua town

Kailua, bet some would give a bad guess at what it means putting words together. Kai and lua makes you wonder. I'm sure one of you knows but for others interests if interested Kai is the word for water and elua is the word for two. taking the e from elua makes Kailua mean two seas.

growing up here we would have to settle that argument many times as people would associate us with toilet water. okay Kailua 101 cured.

OP you may like just meeting the folks here. no place I have found that has the heart of Kailua families. well maybe biased as its my hometown. however saying Kailua is notable for the beach and not much more offends me. its a people place where we take care of each other. this is a fun town with much to offer as posted above in all posts. #7 has a great idea to get acquainted. I didn't open the link yet but will check it out.

I was thinking your staying here but looks like just visiting? why not. see the town before or after the beach.

not much in Lanikai aside the beach, that hike with awesome photo ops (Kaelepulu Drive) and the golf course and dining room. Kailua is the town worth adventuring.

best ohana feeling things, BBQ with friends and fishing. coconuts in Hawaii are sadly embarrassing at 5 dollars each. if you can find someone selling them ice cold it may be worth it. skip them and look for mango, lychee, passion fruit and guavas. Island Snow advice is perfect after the beach. have to mention Zippy's in Kailua is probably the best or second best on all islands. if you get a chance try them in the dining room or if in town, I think the Nuuanau location just as good.

let me rant some more, Kailua could almost go as a scenic drive. going to Lanikai boat ramp, look out and the loop checking on the beaches. coming back through town and hitting duck road. then making your way to Kailuana Loop to the end, yes an end of a loop off a side street going along a canal. one house blocking the very end but then come back out and make yourself toward the marine base and find another beach or rather rocks. you can get a day pass to get on the base. keep driving through Aikahi and check out Kaneohe Bay Drive. well I find it cool rant rant. late note, ducks may be gone from duck road nowadays but hopefully the palms are still there.

9. Re: Kailua town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:16