We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Surf Bus (or other tours)

San Bruno, CA
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Surf Bus (or other tours)

I have read a lot of posts on here about tours and wanted to ask about "The Surf Bus" and if anyone has experience with it? I know a car is a better option, but I'm going solo and after reading one of the posts today, I feel they raised a great point about being the only person driving and missing the scenery. Etc.

I like the options of the surf bus, I probably would do the waterfall and the town tour, but I really want to see the Sea Turtles which is one of the things I liked about this tour - so is this a good option? Are there better tours (if I'm set on taking a tour vs. driving)

Thanks for your help (in advance). As a side note, I'm learning so much by reading all the posts, sorry if this has been addressed before.

M

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,040 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Surf Bus (or other tours)

I think you can see better through car windows.

You can see everything in front of you and to both sides.

On any tour bus, you can see mostly only to one side.

And you can make as many stops as you want.

I don't think there is anything on the surf bus that you cannot do on your own.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, Maps, Websites, Photo-ops, North Shore.

Order the free Oahu planner. You can also view it online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

or

1-800-GOHAWAII

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Surf Bus (or other tours)

Sorry Dusty, I'm talking tours again. I enjoyed the Surf Bus. There is a bit too long spent in the town, but I enjoyed wandering around and buying shave ice. We did see turtles. This year my friend and I are going on the 'Turtle Tour' although it doesn't go to Waimea Valley.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60982-d33…

I will have to write a review on my return.

Have a fab holiday, whatever you decide to do.

San Bruno, CA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The Surf Bus (or other tours)

Dustry - I appreciate your point of view, but I'm taking driving off the table. I also priced it and it's not feasible for the short time I'm there.

Aussie - Thank you for your input, I saw you reviewed the surf bus as well. :)

M

Las Vegas, Nevada...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: The Surf Bus (or other tours)

Today is August 13th, 2013..... We just completed the "SURF BUS TOUR" and are still excited about every memory of today. Our driver, SAM, gave us a detailed perspective of local life, local history, cuisine, norms, entertainment and more!!!!! I can not say enough about how great our tour was!!!!! The freedom to mix & match interest and activities; the feeling of adventure & team exploration; and the sheer excitement being shared throughout the bus (getting to know others on the bus)!!!!!!! I would recommend this tour without reservation. We saw six turtles..... snorkeled, and the waterfalls and beaches.....and a bike ride for me (I'm 58 years old)........The most fun I have had in years...... I also met 2 other surf boat guide/drivers while waiting for my wife and sister-in-law......These guys were as "outstanding as our SAM" so even if you don't get SAM.... you will be in GREAT HANDS!!!!!!! These guides are not only GREAT GUIDES....they are actually people you would like and respect (no matter where you would meet them).

I'm visiting from Las Vegas..... and I know great service and hospitality!!!! The SURF BUS is #1.....

Rohnert Park...
Level Contributor
24 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Surf Bus (or other tours)

I don't think I would have experienced the real Hawaii & it's community without having taken the Surf Bus tour. It was so fun. You don't have to worry about parking or driving and missing things. You also get your activities included so you don't have to find places to get rentals or worry about pricing. You will have more than enough time to walk around Haleiwa and the beaches even if you book two activities. We stopped to see turtles and made friends on the bus. It was nice to be in a small group because if someone in your party wants to do an activity you aren't interested din doing you can spit up with someone on the bus so you don't have to swim alone. My friend and I had a BLAST! Highly recommended!

Runaway Bay...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Surf Bus (or other tours)

We took the surf bus tour and loved it! It was a couple years ago, we had the owner as our tour guide and he was fantastic, I can't remember his name. It was great to not worry about driving and have some stories and history told on the way. We saw lots of sea turtles and went snorkeling and loved the town visit, be sure to check out Art-is such an amazing family and music, it was the high light of our trip, I'm sure you will gave a great time.

7. Re: The Surf Bus (or other tours)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 05:17