We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

We happened to book a flight with 6hr (1:20 pm- 7:46 pm) stopover at HNL (going to Maui). In the meantime is it possible to step out the airport and see anything (No checked baggage).

Is Waikiki an option (seem to be only 8.5 miles from HNL)? How much time should we plan for the commute (say cab?) How is the traffic to Waikiki attractions. Are there peak hours (we are arriving on Apr 06, Sat).

If to choose 1 or 2 spots at Waikiki, which ones r the top ones? We have a 6yr old with us. So anything interesting for him or some shopping for Hawaiin items/curios or sightseeing. Prefer something unique for Ohau that we wouldn't get in Maui.

Any thoughts on Keaiwa Heiau State Park?

Thanks

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

You did know that you asked this question already, and got quite a few answers? :)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k633593…

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

Go to the Aloha Stadium Flea Market. Fairly close, you can get all the souvenirs for your all your friends there at half the price. It would be a two hour or less visit. To go into Waikiki and expect to see anything is stretching your time limits

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

Thanks rexster, is this the address 99-500 Salt Lake Blvd Aiea, HI 96701

Hello 'Beedoo747', that was in HNL forum and more generic, this is more specific for Waikiki, so thought i will put in the main forum.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

The Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is only on Wed, Sat, and Sun and ends at 3pm. Also, it can be brutally hot with lots of sun and no shade, so plan accordingly and bring water.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,453 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

Forget the Swap Meet. You'll be there on a Saturday, but not until 1:20. By the time you would get to Swap Meet, it would be 2pm.

Vendors start leaving around 1pm.

By 2pm most are gone or folding up tents.

Waikiki is your best bet. About $35 each way by cab.

Or try www.hawaii23.com . $23 each way.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

I would expect about 35 to 40 minutes to get to Waikiki, but I would allow 1 hour and 15 minutes to get back. You just never know with Oahu traffic.

Waikiki IS an attraction. Just going there, walking around and having a meal would probably be a great way to fill your allotted time. (As I posted in your other thread, I still think Hilton Hawaiian Village is the best option for a short layover for someone with a 6-year-old.)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

tripadvisor.com/…48487402

Why the duplicate postings, NatureLover? We have handled your issues in your earlier post and asked you questions that you have not answered for us. We have no idea how much time you actually have. Waikiki may be a short hop as the crow flies, but can easily take 30 or 40 minutes depending on traffic. And there is ALOT to Waikiki.

IF - if you really have 4 hours ... a cab to Pearl Harbor would be a good way to stretch your legs. Even without an Arizona Memorial Tour, there are free museums, monuments, and lots of grassy areas for your little one to run around.

Get back to the airport in time to have dinner there.

Again - please help us help you.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 21:26
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

Thanks all,

if the flight lands in time and if traffic prediction at that time is good i am tempted to go to Hilton at Waikiki, if the time seems to be an issue, we will go to Pearl harbor and get back to airport intime to grab some dinner.

Hello 'BLBL', that was in HNL forum and more generic, this is more specific for Waikiki, so thought i will put in the main forum. sorry for any inconvenience. Also about the time we have is 6 hrs (1:20 pm - arrival, 7:46-departure).

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

Important: There are two "Hiltons" in Waikiki. So if you do jump in a cab, be sure to tell the driver Hilton Hawaiian Village and not Waikiki HIlton.

No matter where you go: Remember that the trip back to the airport could be longer than the trip from the airport. Definitely add in that cushion.

Have fun!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikiki sightseeing during 6hr stopover at HNL -

The Oahu Forum encompasses all the little sub-forums, as well as the Honolulu Forum ... so most of us get all of the posts anyway. I wish there weren't so many sub-forums. I really do!

This is from my first post to you, and I want to be sure that you understand how much time you actually have. Until you can answer the questions below, you may not want to make any plans.

<<First - do you really have 6 hours? You need to deplane, and possibly snag your luggage and re-check it. Do you know if your luggage will be checked all the way through? What airlines are you using? Do you know if you can check your bags that early?

And also, you would need to be back to the airport 90 minutes before your next flight.>>

I would not go to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I would go into the heart of Waikiki instead - or actually, I would go to the ZOO! It's a nice medium-sized zoo on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. You could pick up dinner at Lulu's across the street before heading back. My only concerns with any of this are 1) long day for the little one after a long flight and early morning 2) the sun is pretty intense for much running around ... especially when tired 3) will he she fall apart before you get to Maui? You'll probably have a 45-minute (ish) drive to your resort - after the whole luggage-fetching, car renting process.