We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mad Men in Waikiki

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Mad Men in Waikiki

On right now! Anyone else watching?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

Really? Because I first moved to Hawaii as a little kid in 1963. I would love to see how they try to represent Waikiki back then.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

I don't know why it was so hard to find this out on the inter webs, but it was mostly filmed at the Royal Hawaiian which makes perfect sense.

I was reasonably sure as soon as I saw the pink background in a few of the shots.

There was only about 15 minutes in Hawaii.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
979 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

I watched it last night. Does anyone know the names of the musicians or the woman who was dancing the hula?

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

So the first time I saw this I had no sound on at all, because I was chatting to a friend on facetime. All I saw were the images of Hawaii.

Turns out when I turned the sound on, that Don was there as a guest of the Royal Hawaiian so he could write an ad campaign for them.

My sneaking suspicion is that the musicians and dancers are from the Royal Hawaiian Luau but not having seen it myself I can't be certain. :)

It was an excellent episode especially the presentation when Don was presenting his feelings on Hawaii, he was so right that it is an experience and you can't put it into words.. the actual ad campaign was a bit bizarre though!

This quote is so true in my experience "Its not just a different place, you are different".

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,369 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

We've recorded it to watch later. Will we see Don Ho? LOL

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm a huge devotee of "Mad Men" and was pleasantly surprised to see the first section of it set on O'ahu at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.

The dancers, etc. were all from Tihati Productions (according to the credits)....and I believe they do the lu'au at the Royal.....it is a huge production company that does lu'au all thru the islands here, including Kaua'i.

No Don Ho however....although he was referenced!

Malama Pono,

Janet

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

I'm checking it out, on demand, right now, lol!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

"The dancers, etc. were all from Tihati Productions (according to the credits)....and I believe they do the lu'au at the Royal.....it is a huge production company that does lu'au all thru the islands here, including Kaua'i."

Also Creation: A Polynesian Journey (my daughter performed in this show years ago)

Also at HHV

Because the shows are somewhat similar most of their performers can work at any of those on Oahu.

They are also the company that sent the entertainers for President Obama's White House luau a few years ago.

Also the ones in the opening credits of Baywatch Hawaii every episode & in the episode "The Hunt". Got to watch my daughter for a few seconds every week.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

Tom and Lorenzo have done their famous Mad Men Style post for this episode, plenty of pics from the Hawaii part of the episode.

tomandlorenzo.com/2013/04/mad-style-the-door…

The Royal Hawaiian also has some stuff on their website -

http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/resort/madmen

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mad Men in Waikiki

Thanks for the links, beedoo. Loved the fashion analysis on the period clothing styles.