We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for a Quick trip - Pearl Harbor

Center, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for a Quick trip - Pearl Harbor

We are planning a quick, short trip to Honolulu in September. We are a semi-retired 64-year old couple. We really want to go to Pearl Harbor but need some guidance. I’ve reviewed some of the comments but, because of differences in opinion, I want to ask the experts.

(1) How much time should we allow? One-half day or a full day?

(2) What areas can be seen by self-guided tour/walk?

(3) What areas must been by professional guides? What is the cost of those tours? Are they all worth the cost?

We are on a limited budget and hope to spend a night (or maybe two) in a reasonably-priced hotel. I can’t tell if there are any reasonable or low-priced hotels near enough to walk or ride a taxi to Pearl Harbor, basically about $100 per night. Will it be possible to do that? Our plans are to fly to the Honolulu airport, taxi to the hotel, taxi to Pearl Harbor, back to the hotel and/or airport, depending on timing. Of course, if there are shuttles or buses, that would be less expensive. What are your suggestions?

Are we totally dreaming to think this is possible on a limited budget?

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for a Quick trip - Pearl Harbor

It depends on what you want to see at PH. If you want only the USS Arizona, you can pre-order tickets for specific timers at www.nps.gov for $1.50for ticket. There is enough to see that is free plus your Navy launch to the USS Arizona that you would have a half day. But if you want to see Bowfin(submarine), USS Missouri, Pacific Aviation Museum, those are at additional cost, and would take rest of the day. Pearl Harbor can be reached by www.TheBus.org from the Waikiki area, and hotels area.

My suggestion would be to do lots of reading on this forum, and then formulate some plans. It seems like a very long way to fly for a very short trip. Oahu has lots to offer. If you don't want to rent a car which would be preferable, there are shuttles to hotels from the airport. And Oahu has one of the best bus systems in the U.S., so transportation could be reasonable $2.50 one way per person or &1.00 if you have a Medicare card.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for a Quick trip - Pearl Harbor

You can spend as little as a couple of hours if you just want to tour PH and the USS Arizona memorial, or as long as all day if you want to see the sub and the battleship, and the museum, etc.

All areas can be seen by a self guided tours. None require any kind of professional guide.

The Arizona is free but you need to reserve a ticket. The Bowfin and Missouri have charges, as does the museum which should be listed on the website. No need for any "professional" tours.

You can not walk to Pearl Harbor from any hotels in Waikiki, but the city bus is a great deal at $2.50 per person. Clean and reliable and accessible from Waikiki. I doubt you can find $100 a night hotel that you want to stay in. Read thru the thread below for the latest inputs on this question to get some answers.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k629308…

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for a Quick trip - Pearl Harbor

The local transportation, The Bus has a fabulous service, and it will cost you $2.50 each one way from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor. As it goes through metropolitan Honolulu, it does take time, and could take between 45 minutes to an hour.

As you are short on time, cab it.

The tour for the movie and boat ride out to the memorial are free ... but I do advise you book tickets online. Here is the website for that.

www.recreation.gov/unifSearchResults.do…

It will cost you $1.50 for each ticket booked on line. But you have to be there an hour before your allotted time, to swap the tickets, for a number for your tour. But in this hour, you can visit the museum, shop and café.

You can also visit the USS Missouri and the USS Bowfin .. but there are charges for those.

http://www.ussmissouri.com/

There are a couple of hotels at Honolulu Airport, which isn't far from Pearl Harbor, so this may suit you.

ohanahotelsoahu.com/ohana_honolulu_airport/

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

If you stay at any of these you could get a cab to Pearl Harbor, and get The Bus back .. as it goes via the airport. The Bus stop is just outside the memorial on the main road, about 20 feet to the left of the entrance. Both these hotels have free shuttles to the airport terminal as well.

As far as time goes, do the movie and boat ride first, then you can work out what you can fit in for the rest of the day. I believe the last tour is 1pm.

Good luck.

4. Re: Questions for a Quick trip - Pearl Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 06:19