We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,968 posts
422 reviews
Save Topic
Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Another thread triggered a thought in me about what are some activities and sights, unique to Hawaii or Oahu or even Waikiki? It seems sometimes visitors think Oahu is just like the Caribbean or Mexico with zip lines and parasailing, ATVs and water trampolines, etc as the common experiences that tourists partake in.

So what is unique in Hawaii, especially Oahu?

I can't think of anyplace else in the world that offers outrigger canoe surfing the way Waikiki does.

Hawaii is where Stand Up Paddling was "invented" and was the home of the modern rebirth.

The catamaran is a Polynesian innovation that brought the ancients from the South Seas to HI and few places have as many catamaran trips as Oahu does, not even in other spots in HI or the South Pacific.

Not a lot of people in the U.S. knew much about Hawaii and even fewer had ever heard of Pearl Harbor before Dec. 7, 1941, but by the end of the day everyone in the U.S. knew where it was and now the USS Arizona is the most popular site on Oahu, maybe all of HI.

The Polynesian Cultural Center is also unique to Oahu.

So what else is unique to Oahu and Waikiki?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Hawaiian language. Hula. Hawaiian music.

Iolani Palace.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,624 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Aloha,

The Bernice Puahi Bishop Museum.

Home of the largest collection of Polynesian atrifacts in the world

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,529 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Excellent idea Scott - and then you guys should make this one of the top questions - it would be really helpful to future travel planners. :)

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,624 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Aloha,

The Kamehameha School's

Founded with the will of Bernice Pauahi Bishop, a Kamehameha, educates Hawaiian children

Imua

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Diamond Head. From the air, land and sea it is unique and most definitely recognizable.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

"Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu" is tricky ground, particularly for me as a mainland haole.

How far back in history is it appropriate to look? To the original folks who arrived from elsewhere? To the monarchy?To the whalers? To the missionaries? To the melting pot of cultures brought in to harvest?

All I know for sure is me loves my poke, saimin, and plate lunch!!

Edited: 18 April 2013, 07:28
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,708 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

"Hawaiian language. Hula. Hawaiian music."

Hardly unique to O`ahu and Waikiki.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Ala Moana, the largest open-air shopping center in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ala_Moana_Center

I'm not just saying this because I am an Aussie addicted to shopping in Hawaii, but because it is a pretty unique shopping experience there.

I should also mention Baileys antiques and aloha shirts -

http://alohashirts.com

Over 15,000 Hawaiian shirts, new, used, vintage, replicas..

And of course the much loved by most of us International Marketplace with that incredible tree, the atmosphere, the food court, the free hula show, Puka Dog, Blue Water Grill, I am sure others will mention their loves and can't be missed things at the IMP. But you'll need to get in quick before they demolish it.

Oahu is the only place in the world where there is an ABC store on what seems like every corner. Oahu has by far the most of them anywhere in the world - 39 stores.

www.abcstores.com/page.htm?PG=Locations

I might throw in a link to Pomai's 50+years old eateries most of which are only found on Oahu.

tastyislandhawaii.com/2013/04/12/oahus-eater…

Many of those places are found in the many trip reports to Oahu - Matsumotos, Leonards, La Mariana, etc.

As far as activities - most things like helicopter rides, skydiving, snorkelling and other water activities etc can be found in other places in the world so they are not unique but doing those activities in Hawaii is extra special and quite an experience in itself. :)

Great thread, by the way! :)

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Yes jet, my kin attend the Kamehameha schools. And jc, ita, Diamond Head!!

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uniquely Hawaiian/Oahu Activities?

Clearly Oahu's role in World War II is unique. The USS Arizona memorial is high in the top ten of war memorials.

What would surfing be without the Oahu North Shore?

Oahu has to be the repository of Polynesian culture with the Bishop's Museum, Iolani Palace, shows and other cultural sites.

I can think of no other island with so many beaches that are so beautiful and so famous.