We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching in mid-May

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
whale watching in mid-May

Greetings folks. I've been doing some research on this topic and it seems that May is the tail end of whale watching season. Is there a location on the island and perhaps a tour we can take that will maximize our chances of seeing them?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching in mid-May

I think you will be hard pressed to spot a whale mid May. It seems to me that the stragglers are usually gone by the last week in April.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,826 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching in mid-May

Oahu isn't your best Island for whale-watching ... and it is too late. Is it possible to see A whale? Maybe. I wouldn't out money on it. But during actual whale season, especially off Maui, you see WHALES!

Some whale-watching excursions change their language for early and late whale-watching season ... to "look for" whales instead of "see whales."

Frankly - I would not pursue this. Oahu has TONS of other things to see and do.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching in mid-May

Your chances of seeing whales anywhere in Hawaii in mid May or slim to none. Although whale season is considered to be between December 15th - May 15th, I find those dates arbitrary. Best time to see whales in Hawaii is Jan. Feb and March with Maui being the best island to see them from. Did have a great whale counting session here on Oahu the last weekend of March though.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching in mid-May

we saw a lot of whales off of diamondhead late January. May is too late.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whale watching in mid-May

thanks all. i guess l will have to find something else to do like having drink at Duke's. sigh

6. Re: whale watching in mid-May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:19