We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we rent a car?

Jacksonville Fl
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should we rent a car?

1st time in Hawaii. Will be in Honolulu 7/25 to 7/28. Then on to the Big Island for 6 days. My question is should we rent a car on Oahu? We are definitely renting one on the Big Island. We are staying at the Waikiki Grand Hotel-renting a condo. The info says they have parking for $17 a day or meter parking at the zoo or free parking around nearby Kapiolani Park. We want to do PCC, Dole Plantation and Pearl Harbor. (Husband is retired Navy). What is cost for taxi or shuttle to & from airport? Any thoughts?

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we rent a car?

Yes, you should hire one.

In this case as you have so little time on Oahu, I would say get one for the whole time. :)

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,338 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we rent a car?

A rental car will really enhance your visit. Getting out to visit beautiful Oahu is best done with a car. I enjoy day trips then returning to Waikiki for dinner, strolling, Hawaiian music in the evening. Plus, Oahu is much greener and lusher than much of the Big Island, an interesting contrast. If you are from the US, you should rent the car! PS: $17/night for parking is not bad at Waikiki.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we rent a car?

The 17.00 a day for parking is low, do that. The parking at the zoo isn't metered anymore. You use a machine with a credit card or cash, it's a dollar an hour. Good deal except.........................they are re-doing this parking lot and a lot of it is closed off, making parking there a crap shoot.

A taxi from the airport will be 35.00-40.00. Lots of shuttles. Don't know how much they charge. Then to get to the places you want to go, you will have to use a tour. By the time you add all that up, you will be paying more than you would have if you had rented a car.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we rent a car?

for a short trip, best to just rent a car. Taxis and shuttles will not save you much, and you really need to drvie around the island.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,092 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we rent a car?

Don' think the Dole plantation as a "do." It's a total tourist trap and most useful for a potty break and something to drink. Pearl is a definite "do" and PCC is a maybe. It takes the best part of a day just for that, and it's not something I would suggest for people with such a short stay on Oahu.

But, I agree with renting a car for the short time you are there to save time. It will cost you a little more that other transportation, but worth it to make the most out of your sort stay on the island.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we rent a car?

Retired Navy... I suppose you already know about the Hale Koa military-only hotel right on the beach in Waikiki?

If not, you may want to have a look.

And YES, rent a car! And use it!!

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we rent a car?

Absolutely rent a car.

Waikiki is just a beach in the city and a day of walking around is plenty for a short trip.

The real Oahu starts once you leave Honolulu/Waikiki and cruise around Diamond Head on the coast road.

Beautiful scenery, and great beaches. Check out Turtle Bay resort for a drink at Ola's, sweets at Teds Bakery, and spend a bit of time in Haliewa

Cost of cab from/to airport would cover at least a day of car rental - and $17 a day for parking is a good rate!

Get out and enjoy - Have Fun!!

Edited: 05 May 2013, 23:51
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,385 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we rent a car?

Rent a car on Oahu.

I like PCC, but with only three days on Oahu, you ought to go to a luau on Big Island.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, maps, websites, etc. There is one for military.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we rent a car?

Waikiki isn't JUST a beach in a city. It's a whole geographical area, delineated by the ancient Hawaiians. There are gorgeous different beaches within the Waikiki area. Birthplace of modern surfing and hula. Hawaiian royalty spent quite a bit of time in Waikiki, some actually lived there. It's all very real, as is all of Oahu.

houston
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we rent a car?

Yes, rent a car and rent it from the airport. Don't wait until you get to Waikiki. We booked our Oahu trip last minute (a week before we got there) and we were in Maui for 6 days, so we didn't really get to plan Oahu.

We took a cab to Waikiki hotel and looked at car rentals in Waikiki and it was $160 a day at the Hertz at the Hyatt, $199 someplace else, and sold out at another place. I called Hertz because I thought the price was wrong, but it wasn't. We had to take a bus back to the airport because they had rental cars the cheapest. We got a car for I think $32/day.

If you don't rent a car, taxi was $35ish. You can also make a reservation with Hawaii23 for $23 for a private shuttle to take you directly to your hotel without other stops, but you should rent. :)

Edited: 08 May 2013, 13:45