We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

My husband and I are celebrating our 35th anniversary. We plan to stay at Paradise Bay resort in Kanehoe but want to visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial. My parents were there on Dec. 7th 1941. Then we'd like to just hoof the rest of the island at will.

Not interested in tours obviously so I'm hoping to find a reputable travel agency with a sound track record that may help.

Thanks all and hopefully soon....Aloha!

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

You really don't need a travel agency. This forum is very useful as ithe information is virtually real time.. Select some recent trip reports to read. They will give you an idea of what to see and do. Ask questions. You will get current information. Travel guides usch as the Blue Book sereis of Ultimate Kauai/Hawaii/etc. or Hawaii for Dummies are really useful. You might be thinking of an agent for a plane/hotel/car package, but for the most part, people treat Hawaii as a do it yourself experience. It is really very easy to negotiate on your own.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

I agree you don't really need a travel agent it's pretty easy to book stuff your self just takes some researching TA and these forums are helpful tools.

I had never heard of the Paradise Bay Resort so had a look at the website and TA reviews I know they bill themselves as a resort but to me it looks like a B&B or small inn. Have you read the reviews? Looks pretty pricey and looks like there is no swimmable beach right there. I'm not saying it's not nice but have you looked at any other places or considered Waikiki or Kailua which is near Kaneohe.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,610 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

You found your perfect travel agency for Hawaii - right here on TA. Any island, any area - most of the frequent posters and DE's either live in Hawaii or travel frequently - they offer more expertise than almost any travel agent can. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,048 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

We can act as your tour agent, and it's FREE!! What is it you would like to know about? I've heard of the place you are staying, seems nice to me. Kaneohe isn't a place most visitors stay but there is nothing wrong with it. Kaneohe Bay does offer quite a few different ocean activities, especially snorkeling and the sand bar. Never been out there on the water but will one of these days!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,336 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

Paradise Bay Resort was formerly Schrader's Marine Resort.

It was really run down until a couple years ago.

It's been (or is being) renovated.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

I have a question? We had a disaster trip to Atlantis Bahamas, and had a real hard time checking out early. We were wandering if you had a travel agent, would it be easier to have them deal with the hotel. They might be nicer to a travel agent.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

Paradise Bay Resort is definitely off the beaten path. Please be sure to read the reviews here on TA and Google Map "Street View" the property to see what it is like. As mentioned by UNCMOM, this is in the middle of a residential neighborhood and looks more like an "inn" then a "resort". Not a problem so long as you know what you're getting.

What time of the year will you be visiting? Be aware that during "winter" months it is more rainy on the windward side. (Kaneohe being on the windward side.) If you prefer dryer weather, you should consider properties at Ko Olina if you do not want the hustle bustle of Waikiki.

I am assuming when you say "hoof" around the island, you mean in your rental car. Because you will need one if you stay at Paradise Bay Resort since the Bus only offers limited service to that area.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

Not sure I am following.

You have your lodging arranged already. You're not interested in tours. You want to visit Pearl and then "just hoof the rest of the island at will".

That leaves airline tickets, a rental car, and suggestions for sights to see.

I don't see where a travel agent will add much, if any, value. You can book your airline tickets easily on line. For a rental car...

discounthawaiicarrental.com

is very highly recommended on here and is almost always the cheapest.

And as for sights to see, a good guide book and lots of questions on this forum and you're all set!!

Ask away!!

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

Thank you for your gracious inputs!

I'm just NOT interested in the 'touristy' trap known as Waikiki. We are not of the 'white table cloth' persuasion rather more like the rustic style of adventures.

Now, I've booked with AARP before but just wondering if I could get better prices than what they offer. Right now for air/hotel/car for a week is $1745 pp.

Edited: 07 May 2013, 08:28
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a GREAT travel agency for Oahu...suggestions?

Just a word of caution....Waikiki Beach is not a "touristy" trap in any sense of the word. As a point of reference, I would say Waikiki is a significant cut above the more famous Atlantic coast boardwalk venues. Lots of tourists, yes; but trap? No. There is much to see and do. Much of it is free or nominal charge. Excellent places to dine that are reasonably priced. You will likely have to go to a five star restaurant for the white table cloths. It would be hard to describe any place on Oahu as rustic. The Hawaiian Islands count tourism as a major industry, so they are ready for you. I don't say this to be offensive but rather hope to help you calibrate your expectations