We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

Dallas
Level Contributor
208 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

I've been to Oahu about 5 times. Each time, I've stayed at a hotel in Waikiki. 4/5 times we rented a car and spent many of the days in Kailua, Lanikai, North Shore, etc.

I was thinking that for a change we would rent something in Hawaii Kai or Kailua via vrbo to switch it up. Has anyone stayed in Waikiki in the past and switched to a vacation rental on the East side? What were the Pros and Cons? Did you regret it?

For example, we are foodies and besides Le Bistro, Roy's, and Prima, I don't think we would be close to anything. Having mai tais at House without a Key is also something that I would miss.

Dallas
Level Contributor
208 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

One other question, I looked at google maps to determine what part of Oahu would be more convenient to drive to Waikiki. It looks like Hawaii Kai is closer than Kailua in distance, but I've heard that the traffic is alot worse coming from Kai as there is only one road. In general, which location has shorter commute times?

Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

Have you thought about the North Shore, Haleiwa? I'm pretty sure you get more rain, cloudy days on the Kailua side.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 17:48
Dallas
Level Contributor
208 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

Good idea. The rental properties up North are very nice for what you pay as well.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

What time of year are you coming? That would be helpful for us to help you. To get to Hawaii Kai, you will be driving the interstate for someof the way, then it turns into Kalanianaole Freeway, which is 4 lanes. In all actuality, the driving times between Waikiki and Kailua and Waikiki and Hawaii Kai are each about 30 minutes!!

When looking for vacation rentals in Kailua and Hawaii Kai, check to make sure they are legal rentals. Ask them if they have permits and if they charge the transient accommodations tax. If they say no to either or both of these, it's illegal.

Dallas
Level Contributor
208 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

Early September.

Good to know about illegal rentals. Had no idea until today this was such an issue.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

Early September is a great time for the north shore.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

Some restaurant ideas,, at the North shore, Jamesons; in Kailua, Buzz's.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,483 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

>>>I was thinking that for a change we would rent something in Hawaii Kai or Kailua via vrbo to switch it up<<<

Switch it up for what reason?

In others words, what experience is it that you are looking for? And what is your budget?

I'd have no problem staying in Aina Haina or Hawaii Kai (one area) or Kailua or Lanikai (another area and very different from AH & HK), but I've lived in Hawaii before and would love to again. I'd go out to these areas for the experience of living like a local knowing it is going to be vary different from a Waikiki hotel experience.

Hawaii Kai/Aina Haina is the better foodie location because not only do you have the spots there, but Kaimuki is only 15-20 minutes and you are going opposite the traffic on Kalanianaole Highway if you are going from HK to Kaimuki.

Personally I wouldn't stay on the North Shore other than on a surfing trip or a short distraction (2-3 nights) from Waikiki, otherwise I'd go to Kauai if quiet/remote was what I wanted.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 23:49
9. Re: Staying in Hawaii Kai/Kailua/Lanikai for a change..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 05:17