We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

Auckland, Auckland...
6 posts
Save Topic
VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

Hello,

Could someone please help me out..

If I were to book flights to Hawaii from NZ..

Would I need a Visa to visit??

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

I am pretty sure what you need is one of these -

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

The Visa Waiver Program allows foreign nationals from certain countries to travel to the United States for business or pleasure, for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.

Both Australia and New Zealand are listed as countries who participate in the Visa Waiver program.

Thank you for reminding me, we need to get these as well. :)

While on the topic the US embassy has issued the following warning re Esta scams -

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/esta_scam.html

The website I have linked to at the top of this post is the *only* official site where you can purchase an ESTA.

There is a $14 fee to get an ESTA.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 07:36
Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

beedoo seems to have it right, however, it is a bit dangerous to not seek advice from official channels.

Look up the ESTA site and read it carefully to see what exactly applies to you. You will need to test it by filling it in and have yr credit card handy.

beedo, I seem to remember that it's not a good idea to get them too early as the validity is x (?) months. Once again, as you say, look up ESTA, all will be revealed.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

From the ESTA site -

Unless revoked, travel authorizations are valid for two years from the date of authorization, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. The Authorization Approved screen displays your travel authorization expiration date.

I have travelled more than once on an ESTA before.

You make a good point Sweetiedarling1 - on the other hand, some people do not feel comfortable booking tickets unless they know their ESTA is approved.

There are times when it might not be approved and if that happens you then need to apply for a visa through the embassy, which can be a bit of a process and not something one would want to leave to the last minute.

It is only $14 and it is valid for 2 years, I would apply for it sooner than later. I'll probably do ours this week for travel in November.

You do have to know your flight details and where you will be staying when you apply for it, so best to make the booking first then apply.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
634 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

Yes you do as stated above. You can also find information on the Air New Zealand website that will link you to the above sites. You need to get it at least 72hours before you fly, you can however get it as early as you want as once done it is valid for 2 years.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

You do NOT need flight info or address in the USA to apply for ESTA. Those are optional and if you really want to enter them, you can go back later to do so.

LA
Level Contributor
9,716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

Not everyone is eligible for entrance under the Visa Waiver Program.

You need to check the eligibility requirements.

Some are:

You must have a ticket to somewhere other than the north American continent that departs within 90 days of your arrival. ie: a departure ticket

You cannot work in the US or do business when you enter under the Visa Waiver Program

You cannot have been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude. (ie: drugs)

Edited: 05 June 2013, 20:49
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

Looks like you are correct on that one pbuyse2 - there are no red stars next to those items, and when I click on the question mark it says -

The X is optional to complete the application. (X being flight info, or state, or street address, etc)

I do not know whether it makes a difference re approval of the application, though. The only times I have ever applied, I have known the details and so I have filled them in.

Clearly the other questions with the red star are the most important ones and probably what they are basing their approval or non-approval on.. ;)

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

It is also worth linking to the FAQs for this (as I got sent off to the wrong place when I clicked on "For inquiries or questions regarding this application, please click here." which is at the bottom of the page, when trying to find an answer I was looking for and could not work out how to get to these FAQs I had seen previously!)

https:/…WP3

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

Be very careful entering your passport number. 3 letters followed br numbers. NZ passports do not differentiate between 0 and Os. We entered 5 passports, were accepted by Esta and payment taken, it wasn't until we checked in at airport that we discovered we didn't have Visas. Luckily it can be done on the spot but is an expensive process, so get it early

Bendigo
Level Contributor
901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VISA to travel from NZ to Hawaii??

Do make sure you use the official site for your ESTA - $14 is the true cost. There are many sites and some of these are agents who will charge up to $98. to do the work for you so do take care. Two years is correct period the ESTA is issued for and I have used my current ESTA three times in that period