We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress up in Waikiki

Campbell, California
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
dress up in Waikiki

20 years ago my husband wore white linen slacks and I wore a kind-of dressy outfit for dinner at the finer restaurants. Is that still the case?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dress up in Waikiki

Acceptable dress codes have expanded over the last 20 years - unfortunately. I want to answer with - yes please but the reality is that almost anything goes. I sat at Roy's in Waikiki watching a couple because they were in my line of sign. They were young, and the lady looked very nice. The gentleman decided that a grey undershirt was proper for an evening meal. Even after the manager offered him a shirt, he did not get the message. I may be weird, but armpit hair is not what I want in my peripheral vision while I am trying to dine.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dress up in Waikiki

I would say linen slacks for men and nice aloha-style dress for women at the nicer places. The only place I've ever been in Hawaii where men wore ties and women wore black dresses was Michel's at the Colony surf. I was in a long floral dress, husband in linen slacks, and we were casual relative to many other guests. But we still fit in.

The whole world has gotten more causal in the last 20 years. So I would ratchet down the formality from your prior experience by about 25% or so.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,152 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dress up in Waikiki

peterpel - was it really an undershirt or just a t-shirt? I totally agree an undershirt is inappropriate. I would not go anywhere in an undershirt with out something else over it.

However, I spend 90% of my time in Hawaii in a t-shirt. I always take a couple of golf shirts and I have a couple of Hawaiian shirts that I take in case I want to get a little less casual, but that is usually because of who I am going to see or have dinner with than it is about where I'm going to eat.

But, a real undershirt is inappropriate anywhere that I can think off. And, my wife hates what I think are called "wife beaters." I tend to agree except in the most casual places and even then I would never wear them.

Aloha

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dress up in Waikiki

undershirt - not basketball jersey - undershirt. Grey too! You know that these things cannot be made up - the imagination will not go there. The chest hairs poking out the top of the garment were not as offensive. The armpit hairs, another matter. Maybe men should start manscaping there now too, who knows.

If it was Bubba who was working the pit out the back bringing me some real good barbecue, I would excuse that because I am getting fed some real good food. But he was a guest and I was not benefitting.

Did you catch my segway ;) I have a small pit from Klose Pits in Houston. Great people there. Love my pit.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dress up in Waikiki

Seems to some dress up means wearing the new black slippahs and not the old brown ones. LOL

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: dress up in Waikiki

This is how you dress up in Waikiki:

http://www.toririchard.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dress up in Waikiki

Amen PareoB. I love this store. Bought 2 shirts back in 2011 and another couple of shirts this time around, and a pair of slacks - something that they just started doing. Very nice stuff.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dress up in Waikiki

PareoB,

BUT you really do need something on your feet.... at least slippahs!

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,152 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dress up in Waikiki

PareoB - I have one Tori Richard that I love and wear every year in Hawaii. Can't afford another one, so I save it just for "dress up" in Hawaii. They make beautiful stuff !!

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: dress up in Waikiki

Their men's shirts are to die for.

George Clooney's wardrobe in The Descendants is Tori Richard.

Their women's line is beautiful, too. It would be nice if they had a few more "generous" women's sizes.