We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
313 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

I'll be in Oahu for the month of August and am already considering my dining plans. I'm arriving late on Aug. 1st so will be trying Side Street Inn for late dinner. The chains that I will consider are Gyu-Kaku (had a good time there 2 years ago), Roy's in Hawaii Kai, and Nobu's. I also want to try The Charthouse , The Ocean House, Buzz's, and dk's steakhouse. Any other must eats greatly appreciated.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,404 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

Might want to take a look at the forums at top right of this page. Couple of them deal with places to eat.

Aloha

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

I prefer Hy's Steakhouse to DK.

How about le Bistro, Alan Wong, 3660 on the Rise for the high end.

Nico's, Me's BBQ, Helena Hawaiian Food, some place in Chinatown for pho, Legend dim sum on the other end of the spectrum.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

Are you choosing chains on purpose or just places you want to return to out of nostalgia?

I like Nobu, but it isn't on my radar much since there are so many of them in Los Angeles, I'd rather hit one of the local spots like Sushi ii, Kin Chan Sushi and Sushi Izakaya Gaku.

Ocean House is nice and under appreciated and mentioned here, Buzz's time has passed unfortunately, I'd opt for Chuck's that is in the same vein. but still acceptable, even better, Chuck's Cellar.

Aloha, Oregon
Level Contributor
127 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

We've eaten at the places mentioned, but also enjoyed The Cheesecake Factory and Ruths Chris Steak House. They are both chains,but find the ones at Waikiki very very good.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

Hy's Steakhouse.

Chucks Steakhouse

The Queen's beach concession.

P F Changs for pupus

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
313 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

Wow, I forgot about 3660, I might as well try Town while I'm in the Kaimuki area. I stay away from the publicly traded chains like P.F. and Cheesecake but might try the original Roy's if I'm in the area. I don't like Rainbow or Zippy's but will try The Steak Shak based on recommendations. The pho at Hale Vietnam just can't compare to the SGV so I stay away from pho, Thai, and most Chinese. Even though I'm closer to Bev. Hills, I'm usually in Laguna or Newport so never had a chance to try Nobu's. Since it's close to where I'm staying in Waikik I might give it a try.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,498 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

The Amberloo & Food Top Question on the right is really good.

You might get some good ideas from the Cheap Eats Top Question.

Another good site:

http://alternativehawaii.com/rest/oahu.htm

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

Make a trip to Nobu in LA, or even better, Matsuhisa (Nobu's first restaurant) and stick with the local sushi joints.

Look at Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar in Kaimuki too and Duc'c Bistro in Chinatown.

Garden Grove and Westminster have the great Vietnamese places, not the SGV, check out Pho Nguyen Hue, Brodard Restaurant, The Boiling Crab, Banh Mi Che Cali Bakery and Pho Quang Trung.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

Scott, have you compiled a book that you refer to, or do you just have a fantastic memory?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tentative Restaurant Itinerary

>>>Scott, have you compiled a book that you refer to, or do you just have a fantastic memory?<<<

Well not a book, but I have saved some old topics that I can copy and paste from rather than type the same thing over and over, but in general I don't forget a place once I've eaten at it.

And even when I copy and paste, I tailor the answer as needed for the question asked.

But food and restaurants is something I can talk about for hours :)