We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

Savannah, Missouri
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

Here is our itinerary for a little over a week in Oahu. Does it sound good? Also, by reading you can tell what type of stuff we like to do. Is there anything fun that I could add? I need a couple more fun activities. It is me, 22, my cousin that is a couple years younger, my mom, and my dad!! Me and my cousin are both girls. We love beaches, activities, etc. But not as drastic as helicopter riding and stuff like that.

Here is what I have:

Wednesday: Fly in, stay at Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach

Thursday: No car yet. Stay at Waikiki Beach all day. Walk around royal Hawaiian center, International Marketplace, etc. Maybe try surfing possibly. Definitely go boogie boarding.

Friday: Either rent our car or take the bus to Haunuma Bay to snorkel!! Then, Come back to Waikiki Beach. Watch firewords at Waikiki that night.

Saturday: For sure have a car and go to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, drive through town (any cool sights to see or gardens?) and then come back to Waikiki Beach

Sunday: Hike to Monoa Falls and then drive up Mt. Tantulas and have a picnic

Monday: In the early morning drive to Lanikai and hike the Phillbox!!! Then go to Lanikai Beach and Kailua Beach

Tuesday: Another Beach idea? See the Pali lookout also

Wednesday: Check out of our Embassy Suites and drive to the Dole Plantation. Have some dole whip and then drive to Haleiwa. Maybe stop and get some shave ice and then head to our hotel at Turtle Bay!!

Thursday: Horse back riding at 9:30-11am at Kualoa Ranch. Then, stop by the Byodo Temple. When we get back go electric bike riding at Turtle Bay Resort. Then, in the evening drive to Sunset Beach that is a couple miles away and watch the sunset.

Friday: Waimea Bay Beach!!! Anything Else? Last Day!!

Saturday: Fly Home

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,336 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Aloha Stadium
Aloha Stadium
215 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,594 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua Beach Park
Kailua Beach Park
2,555 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,892 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,637 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kualoa
Kualoa
3,267 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sunset Beach Park
Sunset Beach Park
776 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimea Bay
Waimea Bay
1,003 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Boarding House Surfboard Rentals
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
West Oahu SUP
WestSide Surf Lessons
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

Botanical gardens are wonderful on Oahu. In the downtown Honolulu area, try Foster Botanical Garden. From the north shore, Waimea Valley (same basic area as Waimea Beach) is your best option. On the windward side, near Manoa Falls is the lovely Lyon Arboretum (in fact, if it's crowded at Monoa, just go directly to Lyon where you might be the only people enjoying the beautiful garden). Also on the windward side is Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden, a huge place.

Don't forget Turtle Bay has some great walking trails. One leads to the most beautiful, secluded bay, I believe it's Kawela Bay.

Have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Downtown Honolulu
Downtown Honolulu
448 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimea Valley
Waimea Valley
2,056 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Manoa Falls
Manoa Falls
3,112 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lyon Arboretum
Lyon Arboretum
350 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,637 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

Add in a catamaran ride off Waikiki Beach. Not too expensive and drop dead gorgeous!

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,336 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
393 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

Make some time to go shopping at Ala Moana, and visit Magic Island Lagoon. Have some shaved ice in Haleiwa, take the little train ride at the Dole Plantation and go to Halona Cove (From Here to Eternity Beach) and then Waimanalo Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,584 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,892 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
586 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

I would add an outrigger canoe ride while in Waikiki.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,109 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

Please tell us when you are traveling.

Thursday: Stuff like the International Marketplace or the Royal Hawaiian Center ... you can squeeze those in any time. No reason to dedicate a specific part of the day.

Friday: Again, we don't know when you are traveling, but understand this: Oahu can, and does, run out of rental cars. Don't assume that you can easily rent a car (at any price) at the spur of the moment. I have seen people turned away from car rental agencies on Waikiki - even during the lower tourist seasons. I would rent for the full week. It may be more cost effective anyway.

Also - don't bend your schedule for the fireworks. Very, very short presentation.

Saturday: The Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is huge, hot and full of junk ... stuff made in China and SE Asia that is supposed to look Hawaiian made. You will find MUCH better shopping on Waikiki - and if you are really serious about shopping, you need to go to the Ala Moana Center. http://alamoanacenter.com/

I am a little (OK, "very") surprised that you and your family would rent a car and drive to the swap meet ... when PEARL HARBOR is "across the street" from it. Pearl Harbor is generally the MUST for any visitor to Oahu - a major historic site and pivotal to American and world history.

Sunday: Sounds like fun, but this is where you will want the picnic. hawaiistateparks.org/parks/oahu/index.cfm… This won't take all day.

Monday: OK

Tuesday: How about Iolani Palace? The Bishop Museum? Learn a bit about Hawaii and give yourselves some perspective. Also a good day for the Ala Moana (shopping) Center. http://alamoanacenter.com/

Wednesday: The Dole Plantation is OK for a potty stop and something cold, but is it primarily a huge tourist trap. I would go directly to Turtle Bay from Waikiki ... and if you can't check in, at least drop your luggage there. You don't want to run around with your luggage in the car.

Then head to Haleiwa.

Thursday: I would spend far more time at Kualoa Ranch! The beach there is #1 gorgeous. And they have amazing tours on land and water.

Since you are staying at Turtle Bay - get tickets for the evening show at the Polynesian Cultural Center. WOW!

Friday: Include Waimea Valley and you have a full day. http://www.waimeavalley.net/

Add - yes, Pali Lookout! Catamaran sail off Waikiki is another great idea. Another vote for Foster Botanical Garden.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Hawaiian Center
Royal Hawaiian Center
604 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Aloha Stadium
Aloha Stadium
215 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Center
Ala Moana Center
2,570 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
151 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,745 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Bishop Museum
Bishop Museum
2,410 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,584 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Dole Plantation
Dole Plantation
4,892 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,637 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Kualoa
Kualoa
3,267 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Polynesian Cultural Center
Polynesian Cultural...
7,428 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waimea Valley
Waimea Valley
2,056 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Savannah, Missouri
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

Wow!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I will definitely study your write up and give everything into consideration. We are going the last of July this year.

Yes, I am definitely about ready to reserve our car rental. I wasn't going to get it just for the swap meet. We will get it for the full week starting on Saturday. We will definitely go to Pearl Harbor, but can you see enough without getting tickets to get in?

Do you know if the show at the Polynesian Cultural Center shows a pig? I am a vegetarian and extremely against animal cruelty and stuff like that so I have been avoiding the PCC and luaus. Do you know if the Polynesian Cultural Center show is better to attend then a luau?

Mentioned in this post
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
151 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Polynesian Cultural...
7,428 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

For your rental car, see.....

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Very well respected on this forum and almost always the least expensive.

Be sure you understand what your costs will be for parking.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

Do what BLBL suggests and just attend the dinner and evening show at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Best entertainment on the island and you won't come close to seeing a pig. Or, even if you did the whole day tour, seeing the different villages etc. you still won't see an imu ceremony. Just stay away from the package that say's anything about a luau.

You can go to the Pearl Harbor Visitors Center without paying to "get in". Tickets to the USS Arizona Memorial are free, but it is wise to get them in advance on-line. They charge a 1.50 processing fee for this. The USS Missouri and the Bowfin do charge for their tours.

Mentioned in this post
Polynesian Cultural...
7,428 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
151 Reviews
Oahu, HI
USS Arizona Memorial
USS Arizona Memorial
23,073 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,109 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

There is no charge to get in to Pearl Harbor - but some of the activities within Pearl Harbor do charge. The Arizona Memorial, as the venerable msfuzz mentions above, is free - but it is also very popular and can only handle a relatively small number of people at one time. Therefore, we encourage visitors to reserve their tickets on-line. At this late date, I would be surprised if you could get reserved tickets ... but if you get to PH very early in the morning, you should be able to pick up some. Early morning is beautiful - and it's easier to park. There is a wide range of things to do at Pearl Harbor.

http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29222-c194103/Oahu:H…

It would be a very good idea to read through these two resources.

Mentioned in this post
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
151 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What could I add to my Oahu itinerary???

Hike Diamond Head when you're in Waikiki. There are beautiful views from the top!

Mentioned in this post
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI