We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

Hi,

I am flying from Philly(east coast USA) to HNL and I was wondering if anyone have any remedies for jetlag? It is not as bad as flying from HNL to Philly but there is an adjustment period none-the-less. All suggestions are welcomed

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

Stay up as late as you can when you get there, and don't fight getting up early the next morning. It is the most beautiful part of the day, so get up, get a big cup of coffee and go sit on the beach.

You can hear the waves, watch the surfers and see the beauty of the beach, the water and Diamond Head.

Aloha

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

Ditto what placebets said, stay up as late as you can the first night, you will still probably wake up very early in the morning the first morning... try to sleep until at least 5:30 or 6:00, but getting up early is not really a bad thing in HI (less crowds on the beach, great time for hiking and being outdoors before the sun gets too hot). I don't find it terribly hard to adjust... You will probably just wake up early and be tired in the evening for a few days.

The way home (from HI to the East Coast) is killer though.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

Water, water... and more water. Avoid Alcohol on the flight.

Keeping yourself hydrated is key.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
973 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

According to the Mayo Clinic's web site "Use sunlight to reset your internal clock. It's the most powerful natural tool for regulating the sleep-wake cycle."

Just be careful to use sun block if you're in the sunlight for more than 20-30 minutes. The sun is higher in the sky in Hawaii, and it's too easy to get sunburnt.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

thanks for the suggestions everybody. What do you think about walking around on the grass in your bare feet? I heard that helps get rid of jet lag but I'd never actually tried.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

Nope, never heard that one !!

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

No tricks work for me,, just have to let my body adjust. I've heard about melatonin, but I just need rest to catch up! As mentioned, the sunlight helps. :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

We have found that the Island air, breezes, and general vibe go a long way toward reinvigorating us.

We always take a nice walk in the sunshine on our day of arrival.

And doing some serious wading/splashing/swimming in the ocean or pool on the day of arrival really makes a difference too. Seems to send a message to our bodies.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

We stay up late as we can, and try to have meals on local time to adjust our body clocks.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone know how to get rid of Jetlag after landing in HNL?

Relax. Splash in the water. Take in the sunset. Get a good sleep (which usually means foregoing alcohol or use it very sparingly, alcohol interferes with REM sleep)

As others mention, take advantage of the early rising hours. Those precious quiet hours when the air is cool and you can take in the scent of the ocean, of the flowers. Get in the ocean as the sun rises. Take an afternoon nap and later, take part in activities on Hawaii time.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 16:52