We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

Harlingen, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

Hello! My boyfriend and I will be in Oahu from July 1-7, 2013. We are coming from South Texas and are very excited to visit. I have been looking at the travel forums and have built our itinerary around some trip reports which I truly appreciate people posting. We are both very active and want to sightsee and have great time. We are not into shopping or expensive restaurants besides an occasional splurge. We are not foodies and will pretty much eat anything. I have a major sweet tooth and cannot wait to have some shave ice and Hawaiian desserts (recommendations for sweets would be appreciated. A couple of restaurants we want to include for sure is Dukes and House Without a Key because I have heard people mention those on their reports. We rented a condo in the Waikiki area at the Marine Surf and also rented a car to get around the island.

We both are pretty flexible and realize that we cannot fit everything into our trip.

One thing that we are probably crazy about attempting to do but we want to TRY….. we Workout every day except Sunday and we hope to get a Crossfit workout in every day, We will see if that actually happens. We also wanted to get a good run in(about 3-5 miles every other day)

July 1st- getting in late, not much time to sightsee, planning to grab a late, very late dinner (10pm) and settle in.

July 2nd (tues) wake up early to go to Diamond Head and do the hike, start gypsy tour app and head to Hanamua bay to take pictures and drive by(we saw that it is closed on Tuesday and will plan to go to beach on another day),Halona Blowhole and Halona Cove ,Makapuu Lighthouse Trail and do hike, Continue to Makapuu Pt. Lookout and Sea Life Park, end at Pali lookout.....we will stop along tour to eat wherever we see food( My question is...is this plan too short or will it take up the whole day? we wanted to fit in a workout and a sunset catamaran ride.( a recommendation is appreciated)

July 3rd (wed)- Pearl Harbor- we didn’t book on time so we will wake up early to get tickets and spend about 4-5 hours there. I saw a trip report that mentioned stopping at Aloha Stadium(market) and I figured that we could eat there and then head to Tantalus Drive and then to the National Cemetery. I figure after that we could head back to our condo and get ready for PCC. We don't want to do the whole day trip PCC, we plan to just do the dinner and HA Breath of Life show.

July 4th (Thursday)Hanamua Bay-relax!!! And snorkel. No other plans besides fitting in a workout.

July 5th (Friday) Kualoa Ranch and 2 hr ATV tour at 930am.

Tropical Farms Market to see what’s available.

Byodo Temple

July 6th (Saturday) North Shore, rent bikes

Must get shave ice

Turtle Bay

Thank you so much. I know the “workout” thing might be a little annoying as we are on a vacation, but my boyfriend and I have lost over 100 pounds together be eating healthier and working out. Our fitness is very important to us since we have worked hard to maintain our lifestyle and do not want to fall behind. I appreciate your help and cannot wait to hear from you.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,807 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps etc. Much of your itinerary is part of the driving tours.

Most of your itinerary is OK.

Some notes:

On Tuesdays (July 2) Haunama Bay is closed including the parking areas. So no chance to even take photos from above the bay on Tuesdays.

Spend the entire day at PCC. Do Pearl Harbor a different day.

Too late to order the free travel planner for Oahu. But read it online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

Congratulations on the weight loss, atclat48 & boyfriend! :)

Here is my thought for you, fitness wise.

This is a holiday. Why not make it a holiday from your regular fitness regime, too?

By that I do not mean no workouts - I mean do some workouts which are totally different to what you would do at home. It is a good time to switch things up and try something new - who knows, you might find something you like enough to continue with at home.. You could try -

Hot Hula - http://www.anna-rita.com/home-landing

Zumba - read Suze2you report of Zumba on Oahu - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k640… - there are some great locations where these classes are held.

Warrior Class - www.ecfitnessoahu.net/warrior-class-schedule/

Honolulu Club - http://honoluluclub.com/schedule/ - this place has all kinds of workouts including the hot hula, primal sweat sounds interesting!

Water Aerobics - this can be found in various places eg YMCA Honolulu - http://www.ymcahonolulu.org - they also have a water polo class which sounds interesting. You could take some of the water aerobics exercises to the ocean and create your own workout.

Of course there is a whole ocean sitting there waiting for you to jump in and swim, too. :)

Along the lines of what you are already doing - but obviously different, because it is in a different place with different people -

Crossfit Oahu - http://crossfitoahu.com

Running Routes Oahu - runningroomhawaii.com/main/routes/index.html#

runnersworld.com/where-run/road-honolulu-haw…

You will be doing a lot of walking as well, at least I always do.

Definitely interested in the hot hula for my next trip, sounds awesome if I can fit it in! ;)

Hope that gives you some ideas :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

You can add Waimea Valley hike (low impact) and Koko Head Crater hike (high impact) to the great recommendations form Beedoo and Dusty. Lots of good choices for some very memorable workouts and fantastic picture taking opportunities added. Some of these things are also joggable - like the lighthouse and the flatter portion of Diamond Head. Other hikes available too - look at "Things to do" on this site.

Harlingen, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

awesome, thanks so much for the suggestions, we are looking forward to scoping out those routes.

Harlingen, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

at dusty, thanks for the heads up on he Haunama Bay closure.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,807 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

"July 4th (Thursday)Hanamua Bay-relax!!! And snorkel. No other plans besides fitting in a workout."

There are two nice hikes in the area.

As you enter Hanauma Bay from the highway, there is a road that goes to the right. It has a chain across it to stop cars. But hiking is OK.

Hike to the top to what looks like some kind of satellite station & then toward the ocean. You'll get some nice views of Hanauma Bay.

Across the highway from Hanauma Bay is the Koko Crater Hike up old railroad ties.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KokoStairs.JPG

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

I'm happy y'all like to keep up with workouts,, so do I! As we know, it's a lifestyle! Already, others have offered some fun suggestions. And it's a very walking friendly area, and also great to go swimming!, to naturally incorporate exercise. Down at the Fort DeRussey end,, there's some fitness stations in the park. It's fine to do other things,, whatever fits in and works while on your trip,, the main thing is to keep active. Have a great time! :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

There's a nice running path around Ala Moana Beach Park and you can catch a pretty good sunset run. You can also rent a stand up paddle board from Blue Planet (they will deliver it to you at AlaMoana Beach). I hear its a good workout although I haven't tried it myself. Waikiki also has several surfing lessons. You can even rent out kayaks. At Kualoa Ranch, you can try horseback riding. Some good hikes were already mentioned - Manoa Falls, "Pillboxes" in Kailua, Maunawili Falls, Koko Head Crater, etc. Hawaii is an ideal place for some outdoor exercising. Have fun!!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

Oh and about the shave ice - of course you have to go to the North Shore to Matsumoto's or Aoki's because they're famous, but I love Waiola Shave Ice in town in Moiliili. The ice is a much finer and smoother texture. Try it all and compare :)

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to Oahu-itinerary help

Makapuu lighthouse trail is a great place to get a workout hiking and the views are AMAZING! it has a good bit of uphill walking so you will break a sweat. And I recently did the 930am ATV tour, it's awesome! You are going to love it. Have a great trip!