We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

Savannah, Missouri
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

I can't decide what to do on the weekend portion of my vacation to Oahu. I'm worried about places been too crowded on the weekend. Does it really make that much of a difference?!? End of July.

Thursday: Full Day Waikiki and Kuhio torch lighting ceremony, pick up car

Friday: Hanauma Bay snorkeling, Halona Blowhole, Waikiki

Saturday: Ideally I want to see the Pali Lookout, Lanikai Pillbox Hike and then go to Lanikai and Kailua Beaches all day. (But is Saturday the most crowded day to chose to do this?? That is a huge concern)

<<If I didn't go go Lanikai this day (Saturday) we would go to the swap meet at Aloha Stadium, a little bit of Pearl Harbor, and see a bit of the town like the Iolani Palace, etc and go to Ala Moana Mall.

Sunday: If I went to Lanikai on Saturday I wanted to go back for a 2nd day if we liked it. If we didn't do that we were planning on driving up Mt. Tantalus Lookout, do the Manoa Falls hike, and maybe see the Lyon Abertrom (spelling)

Monday: If you think Lanikai will be too crowded on the weekend we would go to Lanikai Monday and Tuesday. I am just so excited about these beaches that I wanted to do them at the beginning of our trip, but don't want to ruin it for the crowds on the weekend.

The rest of our trip is on the North Shore at Turtle Bay.

My main question is, is Lanikai a TON more crowded on weekends enough to avoid going then?

Mentioned in this post
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
477 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,079 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Halona Blowhole
Halona Blowhole
558 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,574 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Stadium
Aloha Stadium
213 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
146 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,667 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Manoa Falls
Manoa Falls
3,086 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,017 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,506 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,565 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

There will be lots of local families on the weekends, but I don't think you will find it too crowded at all. We never have.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

Aloha,

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm always able to find a good spot.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,979 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

Sorry, but I would say the complete opposite. Week day's are your best option. Finding parking at Lanikai and Kailua Beaches other than the early morning hours on a weekend is next to impossible. By 9:00am, you will be lucky to find parking anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,574 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

We were recently there from a Saturday - Wednesday. That weekend was extremely crowded and busy. Maybe there was a special event that particular weekend. Based on that one weekend, I would plan to arrive early if visiting during the weekend.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

sphill1tx,

The 16th was Father's Day. Was that during your stay? If so, could've been that???

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

We were in Kailua/Lanikai the 8th - 12th. We could walk to the beach from where we were staying, otherwise, parking seemed tough! Beach was gorgeous!

Mentioned in this post
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,574 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Kailua, Hawaii
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

I am a Lanikai resident and, yes, the beach is quite crowded on weekends. If you can visit during the week, you will have a more peaceful time but you can always find a spot on the weekend. You just share with a lot of others. Morning on the weekends is better. It turns into a party atmosphere later in the day. Parking is difficult and you need to make sure you get your tires off the road, do not park in the bike lane or facing the wrong direction or the police will ticket you, especially on the weekend. Be respectful of the neighborhood but enjoy our beach. We are truly blessed.

Aloha!

Mentioned in this post
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,574 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,081 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

You may have to walk 5-10 minutes for each of the beaches on a weekend. But you can find parking.

This thread is a couple years old, but still valid. Click on the link in reply #2 for Lanikai Beach:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k416385…

As msfuzz says weekdays are the best for parking at those two beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,574 Reviews
Oahu, HI
@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

So far, I've always been able to find room.

I do think you are overly worried about avoiding crowds everywhere you go. This is a tourist destination, after all.

But visitors have a good time, crowds or no.

10. Re: Is Lanikai and Kailua beaches too crowded on weekends?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:20