We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing hotel and a few other things.....

sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need help choosing hotel and a few other things.....

Hi everyone,

I am just hoping to get a few ideas from people about a couple of things. We will be returning to Hawaii for our second visit later this year. So far the plan is to spend 4 nights on Maui (28 Oct - 1 Nov) and 9 nights in Waikiki (1 Nov - 10 Nov). I am having trouble choosing a hotel. Last time my partner and I were there (2011) we stayed at the Waikiki Parc Hotel. We were very happy with the location and would love to stay there again but just can't get it for the same price. Sooooo we are considering either Ohana East, Miramar or Hyatt My Place. I would rather not spend much more than $1800 (aud) on the accomodation (more $$$s for shopping). I am not convinced on the location of the Hyatt My Place I seem to remember that end of Waikiki being a little more seedy at night. This time we will also be travelling with our little boy who will be 21 months when we head over as well as another couple. We will probably hire a car for either the entire time of most of the time so accomodation will need to have parking. Can anyone help me out with ideas / opinions etc....or offer any other suggestions within the same price range.

Also another question last time we drove up to the north shore but besides driving along the main road and stopping at most of the beaches we didn't really stop to look at much (we did hike Waimea Falls and went to the north shore soap factory). Is there anything we may have missed that is a must see. We didn't eat at a shrimp truck (which is a must do this time) as my partner is obsessed with Quizznos(long story but we don't have them here anymore and every time we went up there we had to eat at the one there)! Actually is there a Quiznos in Waikiki? I checked there website but couldn't see one but somewhere on trip advisor there was a review for one somewhere in Waikiki if there is that would solve his Quizzno fix for a short time.

Getting very excited and thinking of more and more to ask about...... Shame you guys can't do anything to fix our rapidly decreasing dollar!

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing hotel and a few other things.....

Not sure about Quizno, (the one on the Cape here is no longer), but there are Subway sandwich shops, which are similar, there's one right on the beach, near the Fort DeRussey park.

For shrimp trucks, our fave is Fumi's.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing hotel and a few other things.....

Ohana East and Miramar will definitely feel like a step down from Waikiki Parc.

But here's the thing: You're going at one of the cheapest times of the year. If that's not reflected in the sale prices yet, it probably will be soon.

If I were you, I would keep price-checking for four-star hotels before moving down to a three-star like Ohana. Check multiple sites including providers like Expedia.com as well as the hotels' own sites and even airline sites. Tinker with prices for package deals, too. Check higher-end places, too, like Outrigger Reef on the Beach, Hilton Hawaiian Village and Hyatt Regency. There's about a 30% chance that, between now and late October, they'll dip *below* what you paid for Waikiki Parc. Like I said, October is often deal time.

If shopping around doesn't work, also consider Holiday Inn Beachcomber. Great location.

Hyatt Place's location is fine. I know what you mean by "seedier" on that side compared to the area of Waikiki Parc. But only very, very slightly so. It won't pose any problems. Like you, I prefer the Waikiki Parc location to Hyatt Place's. But I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Hyatt Place if it met my needs and budget.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help choosing hotel and a few other things.....

Of the three you mention, I'd choose Hyatt Place in a heartbeat. Totally, totally completely renovated a couple years ago. No problem with the area.

The Miramar is scheduled to be torn down. When is anyone's guess - probably after the first of the year ... but when will is actually close? Who knows?

Take another look at the Parc and see if you like their package with parking. It sounds like you are renting a car, and with the cheap parking ... the Parc may seem more reasonable.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help choosing hotel and a few other things.....

I'd go for the Hyatt Your Place :)

sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help choosing hotel and a few other things.....

Thanks for your replies. I might wait a little longer before I book. :)

6. Re: Need help choosing hotel and a few other things.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19