We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Harbor

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Pearl Harbor

Does it really take 45 minutes to drive to Pearl Harbor from the Banyan? That's what Google maps is telling me. It didn't seem to take that long when I took a tour bus.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Harbor

Cheryl - I would think that would be the maximum depending on time of day, and in rush hour time or not.

It took us almost exactly one hour taking the bus from the Marriott area.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,285 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Harbor

Time flies when you're having fun.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Harbor

I live on the other side of the canal. On a early Saturday morning around 9:00am, I can get from my condo to Pearl Harbor in 20-25 minutes. We go to Target and it's really close to Pearl Harbor so I added 5 minutes onto my 20!! A half an hour even in moderately heavy traffic should be all you need.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Harbor

I can only add the Google Maps is notoriously off on their estimates.

If you don't mind I'd like to share with you my visit to the Arizona Memorial. I was there exactly to the second 46 years after the attack. We all went on and looked at everything, but I held back a little bacause it was the Arizona. That is when I noticed the little old man standing at the rail. I went up and noticed he was crying. I asked if there was anything I could do. he said, "I was here. I was raising the flag when the bomb went off. It blew me into the water, and all my buddies are still here."

I took my lei off and put it on him. Then I went back to the sailor running the boat and told him what was going on and that we might be a little late. Then I went back to the little old shaking crying man to hold and comfort him. One by one everybody from the boat came up and put their leis on him. We stayed until he was ready to go. When we got back to shore there were several officers with lots of scrambled eggs and braid waiting for and saluting the little old man.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Harbor

Thanks everyone for your speedy replies. I'm debating on taking the tour again, and just letting someone else do the driving. I will have a car the day after we arrive, but I've never driven on Oahu before DH does all the driving. Now I'm not saying I couldn't, after all I've been driving in city traffic ever since I learned how, and no I'm not telling you how long ago that was :)

I think I will just go for the tour, that way everything is handled for me, and I have to say, I've always had great tour guides. It's not really that costly, and then I can sit back and relax, and know when we will be back at the hotel.

Thank you for sharing ugyved2, very moving story

6. Re: Pearl Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 03:43
Edited: 28 June 2013, 03:43
Maple, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearl Harbor

ugyved2,

Oh my! You certainly got to experience Pearl Harbor through the eyes of this older gentleman. What an honor, and also such a beautiful gesture giving him your lei. Your story is very special. I'll be visiting for the first time next month. Thank you for sharing.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 03:24
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pearl Harbor

Pink, thank you for those kind words. I suggest you try to get there as early as possible on a nice clear day to get a good feel for it.

Maple, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pearl Harbor

Hi ugyved2,

I've made online reservations for early morning. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pearl Harbor

awesome story ug. thanks for sharing