We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

California
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

Hello!

We (well, mostly me) are planning our 4th trip to Oahu, Sept 2 - Sept 12, five nights Ilikai, 5 nights Turtle Bay, car for entire trip. So looking forward to it and, of course, obsessively researching every possible restaurant, activity, drive, beach, etc. I'm not sure if these boards are a blessing or a curse! LOL

I'm sure I will have some specific questions as we get closer, but want to say hello and thank you to all who post regularly on these boards. The time you spend and the information you provide is appreciated - and I get a little chuckle out of the friendly banter every now and then!

I love the islands and have been fortunate enough to visit a few times - Oahu three times and Kauai twice. DH prefers Oahu because there is so much to do and see. Me, I would be happy sitting on the North Shore, or Kailua Beach, or pretty much any beach... and just taking in the scenery, the wonderful air, and spend the day swimming with the turtles. He gets a little bored and does not love to go in or on the water. So my challenge is to balance our trip with things we each enjoy.

We both love our food and our occassional cocktails, and like to get value for our vacation dollar, so always looking for a great happy hour, early bird special, etc. He is a little less adventerous when it comes to food (and activities).

Anyhow, Aloha and thank you for all your assistance so far!

Edited: 28 June 2013, 06:45
California
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

And in case the grammar police are watching, I do know the rules regarding spelling out numbers. Just get a little ADD when tired - and apparently OCD for needing to post this because I couldn't figure out how to edit! LOL

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

First off, welcome to the O'ahu TA forum!

So, you know when you are coming, and where you're staying, and you know you'll have a car, for sure. Do I have that right?

"DH prefers Oahu because there is so much to do and see. Me, I would be happy sitting on the North Shore, or Kailua Beach, or pretty much any beach... and just taking in the scenery, the wonderful air, and spend the day swimming with the turtles. He gets a little bored and does not love to go in or on the water. So my challenge is to balance our trip with things we each enjoy"

I agree.......

So how can we help?

For the DW and me, sometimes it just works for us to do separate things once in a while. Ex. - we both love catamaran rides off Waikiki Beach. Trouble is, I have to take a dramamine to go out, and I'm not crazy about the groggy after affects. So I'll go maybe once in our two weeks while she'll go three + times. I amuse myself elsewhere.

Maybe you should make a list. Together stuff, my stuff, his stuff???

It's great fun to meet up at pau hana time to compare experiences!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,151 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

Welcome to the forum. We have lots of fun, try to help some people if we can, and have lots of knowledgeable people, many who have different opinions about best hotels, best restaurants, and lots of other things. So we always need new ideas and opinions.

I guess I don't know the rules for spelling out numbers, and I don't see many people on this forum that nit pick people's spelling. I know some other forums like that, but not Oahu or Maui. And if you are OCD and have ADD, then you will fit right in with many of the rest of us.

Some come in and get your feet wet !! The water is fine just as it always is in Hawaii.

Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

Welcome and congratulations!! I had to go back and look at what you meant by "spelling", didn't even notice it!! Glad to have you on the forums and look forward to helping anyway we can. I'm assuming everything is booked, yes?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

Welcome, and lucky you for getting to go so soon. Others (meaning me), wish they didn't have that long to wait.

I don't believe any of us really cares about grammar, but maybe will correct on 'shave ice', or on Oahu, and not in it lol. Other than that, great bunch of people who like nothing better than helping someone have a great vacation.

So Aloooooha

California
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

Hope I'm doing this right...replying to the most recent post to say thank you for the warm welcome and...

Yes, we are booked and will be paid up by mid-July. Got some pretty good deals.

Flying HA with points roundtrip from OAK to HNL direct (at least as of today). Caution if you are flying HA. Check your itinerary periodically. They had changed my flight home. I had booked SJC round trip direct. They had me flying home to SFO. Kind of a problem since car would be at SJC. After an hour on the phone, now flying out of OAK. Similar thing happened last year. Had a connecting flight in Maui to Kauai. HA changed the flight so we were leaving Maui before we arrived. Another hour on the phone. I love HA and can catch some great rates, but this has been a bit of an annoyance. Have others had this experience?

Booked TB through Costco; 5 nts Epic (renovated) King Ocean View room and full size rental car through Budget for $1,240.00 TOTAL including taxes! Such a SWEET deal that I took it as a sign from God it was time to book another trip! We will still have to pay resort fee of $25/nt at TB and extra for valet if we want it, but if you've priced TB lately rates are pretty high and this is an awesome deal. Hopefully they don't put us in a room overlooking the dumpster :-) Called Costco and got the car for another 5 nts for $124.00. Another great deal and now we will have the same car the entire trip. Has any one stayed in renovated room at TB yet? Very excited about this leg of the trip. I am a North Shore kind of girl!

Originally booked Outrigger Reef because the thought of being able to walk right out back to the Ocean really appealed to me, and we have fun at Shore Bird. Had toyed with staying at the Ilikai past couple trips and finally decided to go for it. Got a privately owned condo on 7th floor, facing the Marina for 5 nts for $844.00 total including taxes and cleaning - another SWEET deal! It is not one of the most recently renovated units but it looks comfortable and perfect for us. DH tends to stay up late watching tv, and I need my beauty rest. This unit still has the sliding divider between bedroom and living area. Perfect! Saved about $500 over staying at Outrigger Reef. Actually probably saved more since I tend to look at several rooms before we settle in and fall in love with the UPGRADE! Would love to hear your opinion on my choice. Thinking we will probably walk and/or take bus into Waikiki rather than trying to park the car. Does that sound like a good plan?

I LOVE the idea of making a list of me, him, us activities. This would really appeal to DH because he has to have a plan. We can always deviate from the plan, but we must have the plan.

Glad I don't have to be too concerned about proof reading, and I do know it is shave ice and on island, so guess I am doing well so far :-)

I am just so excited to be getting closer to our trip!!! Last time we had to leave Oahu I actually got tears in my eyes... It is just so beautiful.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,804 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

momo

Welcome to the TA Hawaii forum!

It is difficult giving advice for a repeat visitor, especially for those with multiple visits.

That said, read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc. All of the Top Questions are good. You'll get a lot of info and ideas for repeat visitors.

On the Oahu forum, use the search: trip report

Read 15-20 trip reports. They will give you a better idea of what others see & do. Many of them are so good that you are almost there with the author of the trip report.

Order the free travel planner for Hawaii & the Island of Oahu. You can also read them online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

or

1-800-GOHAWAII

Most of the info on this thread is in the Top Questions now, but you might find some useful tips:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Spend some time on the Oahu forum every day. Lots of new questions, new trip reports etc. 15-20 minutes a day is enough to read the new Oahu forum threads.

California
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

thanks dusty, great tip on searching trip reports! hope I can offer some good info for folks too :-)

9. Re: Going back in 9 weeks and three days!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19