We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

I've already booked a four night rental just steps from Sunset Beach, but would love your help in deciding between The Modern and either of the Outriggers for our two-night stay in Honolulu. They're similarly priced, and I'm aware of the unique experience each offers, so it's mainly an issue of which best fits logistically my two-night itinerary. We arrive on Tues. at 1, and will check out on Thursday morning.

My son is 10 and hapa and it will his first visit to Oahu since he was one so I'm eager to use at least one of those days in the Honolulu area to educate him about his heritage. So must-dos include Iolani Palace (my ex-wife and I were married on its lawn) and the Bishop Museum. (We're saving Poly Cultural Center for a future trip.) Also on the agenda: Ala Moana, the old Advertiser building (he loves Hawaii 5-0), the UH campus (I'm meeting a former student there), Duke's (one of my favorite memories of my last visit), Chinatown, the sunset hula at Kuhio.

Logistically, which of the two is the better option? We'll have a car, and we don't mind walking, if necessary.

Obviously, we won't be spending a ton of time at either place, and I know that there are more affordable options to use as hubs, but both are within my budget.

Also, would it be over-reaching to add Hanauma Bay, Diamond Head and/or Lanikai? Or will our four days at the North Shore suffice for snorkling, hiking, and doing absolutely nothing at the beach?

I'm saving Pearl Harbor for our morning of departure.

Thanks in advance for the help!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

Logistically - it doesn't matter which hotel you choose. The difference in distance will not make or break you.

However, I would not choose the Modern. It is not on the beach and caters to more of an adult crowd. It's not in the Heart of Waikiki. Your restaurant choices are far better at the Reef or Outrigger Waikiki. I personally would prefer the Reef over the Outrigger Waikiki ... as it is a little quieter and seems less cramped. Either Outrigger location is excellent.

Your itinerary sounds good, busy - but good! I highly recommend that you reserve a guided tour of Iolani Palace. I believe they are only in the mornings.

I would not try to cram in Hanauma Bay, Diamond Head and/or Lanikai to your short time on Waikiki.

Do you have reservations for the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor??

When you are on the North Shore - consider Waimea Valley. http://www.waimeavalley.net

Are you traveling this summer??

Here is a rough map of hotels on Waikiki. discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

This website, if you scroll down and click, will give you aerial views. I generally disregard the commentary on this site. hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

Thanks so much for the insight and links!

We're traveling the third week of August.

Food-wise, we'll be gorging on noodles and KBBQ and plate lunches at Ala Moana and around Chinatown. (The exception: Duke's. So Outrigger makes sense for that then. Although Ala Moana is much closer to Modern. Hm.)

Good tip on the Iolani tour, and avoiding DH and HB during my short stay in Waikiki. We could always make the trek out there road trip-style on one of our North Shore days if I feel absolutely compelled to go.

Waimea is definitely on our agenda.

No reservation to PH. How much of the site is viewable if we just show up and meander around until it's time to return rental car and catch our flight at noon?

Edited: 28 June 2013, 19:15
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

If you want to take your son out to the USS Arizona Memorial, get advance (free) tickets on-line. There is a 1.50 processing fee. Since the sequester the number of tours have been cut and it's busier than normal. Just showing up you will get to see the new visitors center and get tickets for other memorials but you will likely not get them for the Arizona.

www.recreation.gov

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

<<Although Ala Moana is much closer to Modern.>> Not really. It's closer, but not appreciably. I would chose the extra 5 minutes in the car and the much better location at either of the Outriggers any day.

<<No reservation to PH. How much of the site is viewable if we just sh'ow up and meander around until it's time to return rental car and catch our flight at noon?>> Well, if your flight is at noon, you'll need to be at the airport at 10:00. I don't know if you are staying on Waikiki first or the North Shore first ... but your drive to the airport from the North Shore will be considerably longer.

You don't need a reservation for Pearl Harbor - and you can browse to your heart's delight. BUT - for the Arizona Memorial, an on-line reservation is highly-recommended. Some tickets may be available for folks without reservations - but it's dicey. You'd want to get to Pearl Harbor super early.

http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

Here's the website for Pearl Harbor. Take a look to the left hand side of that screen for tips on planning.

Also - if you pull up the Honolulu Forum, off to the right hand side are "Top Questions" that include Pearl Harbor.

If you simply scroll down through the Oahu Forum you'll find tons of dialogue and recommendations and tips for Pearl Harbor.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

Aloha,

The Advertiser building is pretty run down these days.

I think 5-0 has left, as the building was sold.

Maybe you guys can hike Daimond Head.

Have a great time,

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

bizjournals.com/pacific/…

Jet (and alex) -- did you see this? Read it all the way through. Looks like one of the buildings was torn down, but the iconic one stays.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

Aloha,

Glad to hear they will save the building.

Thanks BLBL

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Just booked a pair of tix for the Arizona Memorial for 8 a.m. on day of departure. (Thanks for the suggestion!) Will make for a brutal early-morning departure from the North Shore with the suggested 7 a.m. arrival at PH, but I expect it to be one of the trip highlights for my son, and perfectly timed to catch our flight back to CA.

Regarding the Advertiser, we're only planning on getting a pic of myson with the statue in front. Only planning about five minutes there. Anything else 5-0 related that might be worth checking out? (And thank you for the link to the article. Happy to see that the facade/statue will be intact during our visit.)

Edited: 28 June 2013, 19:57
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,677 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

Aloha,

The King Kamehameha Statue is in front the Aliiolani Hale , which is across from the Iolani Palace

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Modern vs. Outriggers (+ itinerary help)

>>The King Kamehameha Statue is in front the Aliiolani Hale , which is across from the Iolani Palace<<

Ah, I did not know that. Thank you!